North Dakota Republicans propose $1500 fines for using pronouns that upset them

Montreal would be happy to have you both. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

And I would love it. But I don’t think I can get citizenship.

12 Likes

That’s too bad. Are the barriers lower in Malta?

8 Likes

I can get Irish citizenship via one of my grandparents. It’s EU citizenship- so many other options on where to live. Malta is just very high up on the equality scale & I knew the Borderer had discussed it as an option for herself.

Though - truth be told - I’d rather stay closer and pop up above the 49th parallel. I just don’t see how to make it work. They’re not looking for emigrants my age & I have no family connections to build on.

16 Likes

Is that also British citizenship? I’m not sure with Brexit and all. :slight_smile:

That could be helpful as Canada is still part of the Commonwealth.

ETA: We’re going to be getting “Chuck bucks”. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No, as Ireland is independent.

9 Likes

Definitely not UK citizenship. Except Northern Ireland.

9 Likes

I’d love to see someone challenge the asshole who proposed this bill to identify the birth pronouns of 10 people based on pictures or video clips. It probably wouldn’t be difficult to find a set that would cost him $7500 or more based on his own proposal.

10 Likes

Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech,

How does this work then?

3 Likes

A Deadly Adoption Applause GIF

(It took me a second, but BRAVO! )

10 Likes

I suspect that the actual answer is “because it doesn’t much matter whether performative legislation is legal or not”; but it would appear that the bill is trying to strategically flirt with scope(outside of wedlock, even!):

1. This section applies to all policies, records, forms, rules, standards, procedures,
    guides, materials, instruction, training, correspondence, advertising, or marketing used
    by any entity receiving state funding, including a public school, an institution under the
    control of the state board of higher education, and a state agency or office.
  2. Any person that violates this section must be assessed a fee of one thousand five
    hundred dollars.

Section 3 attaches the scope specifically to state entities and state-funded entities; presumably under a combination of the logic that state entities can have their operations defined by state law and that receiving funding can be tied to certain conditions(neither desperately novel, state agencies do operate under some combination of legislative definition and administrative product that grows out of the legislated structures; and things like Title IX being applied to federally funded educational activity is 5 decades old at this point(though not necessarily applied all that vigorously); and then section 4 does a not-desperately-subtle scope explosion and pokes right through all the organizational layers and makes it an individual violation(it wouldn’t surprise me if ‘fee’ rather than ‘fine’ is also intended to be legal cover of some flavor, since ‘fine’ would make it more overt that it’s an attempt at criminalization).

I’m neither a legalmancer nor your legalmancer; but it wouldn’t entirely surprise me if this would have been reasonably close to legal if they’d been less greedy and more focused on passing it than preening about it.

Call it “North Dakota Educational Recordkeeping Administrative Reform Act” or something similarly anodyne; pad it out heavily with lots of references to the efficiency and paperwork reduction values of field standardization until even professional CRM administrators are dozing off; drag in basically every other statute or administrative standard related to identification you can dredge up; and ensure that it’s mandatory to preserve certain field values from the birth certificate into educational records; purely as an incidental side effect of the need for standardization, obviously, absolutely not because “The bill aims to “uphold truth” about people’s biology when they identify as a gender other than their birth sex, Clemens said.”

7 Likes

No disagreement from me. I wasn’t responding so much to your point as to the quote in your post, since you conveniently highlighted the phrase from the article I took issue with.

6 Likes

What is the deal with Ireland?

Rural Indiana sounds nice!

I plan to take the kiddo there at some point to follow some of the Trail of Death stops and visit the cabin of our ancestor, Pierre Navarre.

7 Likes

Sounds like a D&D campaign. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Bored Season 5 GIF by The Office

6 Likes

Short answer, a slow, underfunded healthcare system that has not yet come up to speed for the trans community. Services exist but wait lists are many years. Juvenile care is just about non existent.

17 Likes

If you are a citizen of Eire, you can reside and work in the UK and vote in UK elections without hindrance.

1 Like

It’s not my intention, but thanks.

8 Likes

Just come over for the elections. We could use all the help we can get :grimacing:

16 Likes

You can do it! Immigrating to Canada is pretty easy (compared to many places) and getting easier all the time. All you really need to do is find a job here. They’ll get the work visa, and after enough time in residence, you get citizenship.

If you’re not of working age or unable to find said job, a lot of other forms of visa exist. For example, the NAFTA visa for relocating between US and Canada is pretty easy to get. That’s how I moved to the US before fleeing back here during Trump. There are also a number of temporary work and student visas that can get your foot in the door. The longer you’re here (by any means) the easier it is to stay, legally. Also, just like in the US, a lot of people simply overstay visas. I would never recommend breaking the law of course, but a lot of people do it who have few other options. I did it for a while in the US during an immigration paperwork snafu that lasted six months.

Trans people also have a pretty good claim for refugee status from the US right now also. Depending on where you are in the US, your life is in danger now.

None of this is to say it’s easy. As someone who has moved to a new country twice in my life, I can say it is hard. One of the hardest things I’ve done both times. It can be done though, and I encourage everyone to give it a serious look. Talk to some immigration lawyers up here, Get help! It can be done.

It should get easier as well, because the country is now pursuing an aggressive pro-immigration strategy. Canada has massive labour and talent gaps in every industry. In short, we’re a huge country with too few people in it. Possibly the only country that can say that, but it’s very true here.

19 Likes