North Korea invites Trump to denuclearization talks. Breakthrough or power stunt?

Exhibit 1: Dennis Rodman.

Exhibit 2: Kim-Jong-Nam.

They just need to get close enough to touch Trump. A bag of McDonald’s and a sex worker ought to do it.

Bonus: It could be more surprising than Bin-laden, but very convenient.

4 Likes

Remember: the Clinton Administration negotiated a deal to keep North Korea from having nuclear weapons, it involved helping them build two nuclear reactors that couldn’t be used to enrich uranium, plus fuel oil shipments during the winter (Bush/Cheney reneged on the oil shipments and NK reopened its old reactor and started enriching again.)

Basically, Trump will have to give them something in return for denuclearizing, except Trump always has to think he “won” the negotiation, so he can’t give them anything and still think he came out on top; Trump’s idea of negotiating is “I win, you lose”, a zero-sum game.

It’s pretty much a guaranteed diplomatic mess.

Or worse.

10 Likes

It’s really weird that this was announced from the podium by the South Korean National Security Adviser with no American policy officials present.

6 Likes

My first reaction was “What the hell, the OB is negotiating korean peace talks? Am I taking crazy pills?” But then I rememberd that I am living the worst timeline, so they will probably try to fuck him over while he tries to fuck them over and it will end in a complete disaster. If we´re luck they´ll keep him.
But who knows, maybe OB and Kim click (they are both fat, rich, spoiled brats in an undeserved position of power with daddy issues, so there is that) and they actually make a deal that makes the world safer and a better place, remember the old Vulcan proverb: “Only Nixon could go to China…”
Nah, not really, it will end in nuclear war…

2 Likes

Wasn’t the idea to make North Korea get rid of their weapons of mass destruction, not give them another one?

4 Likes

As I’ve been watching the cartoonish tit for tat I’ve thought NK had already decided to try and integrate with the world, and the two administrations agreed to put on a cockamamey show to maximise ego and popularity benefit.

So the show is a sham.

With any luck, Kim will make Mr Trump disappear.

Oh - and look at this - more co-operation with a Russia pal. Odd, eh?!

I think Trump believes that judgment in the public eye matters more than the law. As he cools his heels on ice, he’ll buoy himself with imaginings that the public love him for his miraculous deeds.

It is all a sham.

1 Like

This is a win win for Trump. If it goes well he’ll take the credit , maybe deservedly, if it goes bad he can just rage and blame them which most people will agree with. He’s up against a whole country that behaves like him so he knows their game but they are smarter than him.

On a related note: “Brickbats!!! Brickbaaaaatttttttssss!!!” [ok, obscure]

So, let’s see. KJU’s “benefactor” Jinping declares himself “people’s savoir for life” two weeks ago and now he wants to make nice with the other massive military force on his other border.

Between China and the U.S., which can KJU’s military hold out against?

Trick question - the answer is neither.

Clearly, Jinping let it be known that they aren’t going to tolerate KJU having a nuclear arsenal that can create a big glowing buffer zone between Korea and the PRC. So now KJU will “negotiate” with Dolt 45 for whatever breathing room he can get. Remember, KJU can say whatever he wants to the population of the DPRK - the state of the world and “news” is what he tells them it is.

Turn of events here has nothing to do with U.S. positions, rhetoric or White House and everything to do with internal PRC politics. KJU needs “hard currency” and “dismantling” his bomb casings full of pachinko machine parts is a convenient way to do so while at the same time saying “Look Mao, No Hands!”

5 Likes

That is awesome.

I think the North Koreans have entered a new stage in their diplomatic philosophy. They now have demonstrated nuclear weapon capability AND delivery capability. That’s a bargaining chip for life. It will be on the negotiating table from now to eternity, so tantalizingly close yet just beyond reach.

They also understand that Trump will promise ANYTHING to take credit for solving the Korean peninsula. As long as they stroke that ego, he will agree to concession after concession trying to get at the nukes.

What the North Koreans seem not to grasp yet:

1. What Trump gives with his right hand, he takes away with his left (witness the steel tariff, announced at the same time he exempted the largest source of US steel imports from the tariff).
  2. Everyone who does business with Trump gets burned.

I don’t think this will lead to nuclear war. I just think it will be two fat dudes engaging in endless cycles of self-aggrandizing theater, without any awareness that it’s theater.

2 Likes

So are we taking bets on what happens if these talks take place?

Odds on:
Someone shitting on the table to exert dominance.

One of them pulling a gun and shooting the other and then rushing out of the room screaming “Winner, winner, chicken dinner!”

A photo taken where Trump and Kim are putting the palms of their hands together, comparing hands.

Crying.

Uncontrolled flatulence.

An exchange of hats.

10 Likes

Unquestionably!

Are they going to shake hands? Knowing Trump, that could be something very interesting to watch.

Stunt. Both of these guys are liars on a massive scale. How can this possibly be a foundation of trust?

1 Like

Ghadaffi wanted nuclear weapons - gave up the programme - overthrown in Western-backed coup - now dead.
Hussein wanted nuclear weapons - bombed, gave up the programme - overthrown by West - now dead.

Kim got nuclear weapons - held on to them - gets negotiations with a superpower - not dead.

3 Likes

I can’t help but feel like N. Korea finally realized how disruptive Trump’s presidency is for America, and they’re hoping it’ll cost them little to make him look good, even if nothing is accomplished in the meeting. They’ll cheer him on as his policies disrupt the US. Similar to Putin in backing Trump early on.

1 Like

Hey! Seth Rogan, I’ve got this idea for a sequal movie “The Meeting” If you could get that stripper in on it I guarantee you make some box office.

3 Likes

Yet

(Hey complete sentence robot! fuckity fuckity fuck fuck)

I guess what’s crazy in this whole scenario is that Trump himself is to meet with them… Not Tillerson or some third-string diplomat… It reeks of Trump’s desperation in what everyone is describing as a crumbling administration. This is a hail-Mary play to put some points on the board before he’s definitively a lame duck… and it’s so crazy it might work (in the court of public opinion).

2 Likes

Strange handshakes.
Fake smiles.
Cultural ignorance.
Serious misunderstandings.
Hissy fit over the lack of burgers.

Just like at home.

2 Likes