North Korea launches Netflix-like streaming propaganda service 'Manbang'

Transcript. Much better.

3 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

Oh hey youtube for the win again… cause filing for copyright violation means owing up to the movie.

4 Likes

"Did we mention that APE is not KING KONG? Just want to be sure you understand this is not KING KONG.

Or JAWS. Or THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE.

Be sure to remember that."

3 Likes

It’ll make quite a splash, can tell you that much.

3 Likes

If you want to watch a terrible King Kong movie (not that there’s any shortage of that) you can watch the awful 80’s version called King Kong Lives.

“King Kong, after being shot down from the World Trade Center, is kept alive in a coma for about 10 years. In order to save Kong’s life, Dr. Franklin must perform a heart transplant and give Kong a computer-monitored artificial heart. Enter adventurer Hank “Mitch” Mitchell, who captures a giant female gorilla, bringing her to the Institute so her blood can be used for Kong’s operation. The transfusion and the heart transplant are a success, but Kong escapes along with the female.”

This is the kind of shit you just can’t make up. I remember watching this as a young kid and being completely baffled.

2 Likes

Family of party elite have much more freedom in regard to ‘western’ films. Remember, Kim Jong Il was a film buff (he wrote a book about cinema and tried his hand at producing. It is more bizarre and heavy handed than you can imagine). He also had an ungodly large DVD and film collection. I imagine his enthusiasm trickled down to at least a level or two of the priveleged party elite, probably as an affectation, (who act/talk/shop like westerners a lot more than you’d think).

2 Likes

well there is fun bad and just bad bad and that one is close to bad bad… bonus for Linda Hamilton being in it though.

2 Likes

Your missing some great work. The show reduced me to blubbering tears the first time I heard it randomly on the radio. It really is phenomenally great, consistently; it is among the most insightful media around. Put aside the non-sequiter annoyance and you’ll soon be drawn in and forget anyways. Besides, Ira talks maybe what 5-15℅ of the show at most? There are other narrators, guests, media, etc. The episode linked is brilliant. (Plus they’ve had pioneering podcast availability for a decade at least, most episodes are still available and free).

3 Likes

So, Jiang Qing, Zhang Chunqiao, Yao Wenyuan, and Wang Hongwen tried this in China back in the day. They called it “Gang (of 4) Bang.”

2 Likes

Haven’t all Westerns been deemed offensive by everyone everywhere?

2 Likes

And then…

1 Like

I’ve heard episodes that were tearjerkers and others that had me close to peeing my pants I was laughing so hard. Like the Peter Pan fiasco, or . . .

. . . TWO WORDS . . .

SQUIRREL. COP.

3 Likes

Thanks! I was planning to manbang that one later.

4 Likes

(But I agree, it is a great show.)

4 Likes

Of course, having electricity to power the Manbang is another issue entirely.

1 Like

Most North Koreans have already adapted to the scarce electricity by refusing to not buying electric devices, according to the AP.

They’re sounding more like Americans already, refusing to not buy things.

3 Likes

Watch too many animal programs and not enough Dear Leader and the not-so-secret police will pay you a visit, I’m sure.

1 Like

The Daily Beast should send Nico Hines to North Korea for awhile to learn all about this…Manbang.

If a viewer wants to watch, for instance, an animal movie and sends a request to the equipment, it will show the relevant video to the viewer

But what happens if you send a request for The Interview?

Or for food?

2 Likes

Because you can no longer manbang and il.

(too soon?)

1 Like