Norway gifts Britain amusingly sparse Christmas tree

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/05/norway-gifts-britain-amusingly.html

7 Likes

rBVaJlyMlD2IULujAABcqTgoDiYAAKWcQB_clIAAFzB105

11 Likes

Greta Thurnburg is from Sweden, so maybe this is Norway’s next best statement on the impact of climate change?

11 Likes

20 Likes

I know as admin that needs that cup.

7 Likes

They should’ve just sent a log. Or perhaps an aluminum pole so the UK can celebrate Festivus and air some grievances.

9 Likes

Nit picking, but my understanding is that the tree is a gift from Oslo to London, not Norway to the UK.
Otherwise, looks like a pretty normal tree to me.

3 Likes

As Mrs. Brown would say: “That’s nice.”

2 Likes

It was felled on 19 November…
“Felled” my ass. When one fells a large tree at least 1/4 of the branches break as it hits the ground. Even flexible spruce branches break. While it could explain the sparseness, I think not. I imagine they held it up with a crane while its base was cut, then gently laid it onto a waiting truck.

1 Like

It might fit nicely in to the Brexit narrative, but this Norway spruce is always a lame piece of shit. It’s surprisingly poor quality every year, not just when the UK is showing a mind-numbing lack of sense.

1 Like

Tree hater.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

We can always spruce it up with a bit of tinsel and a pigeon.

1 Like

Perhaps electric eels?

4 Likes

It would keep the revellers out of the fountains on New Years Eve.

1 Like

It’s fine. That’s what Christmas trees look like before you put ornaments on them. The perfect ones are artificial.

Brits should call up the Peanuts characters and let fly!

giphy

2 Likes

Then maybe you’ve never been to Canada. We have big beautiful bushy pine trees in every size and several species. They are beautiful long before an ornament touches them.

Funny you should ask. I just got back from Canada on business. Didn’t happen to notice trees looking any different from the ones on the four Christmas tree farms within walking distance of my house. Of course walking distance here is somewhat farther than many would consider convenient. If Norway wants to keep nicer trees alive, good. Next year they should send an artificial one and call it even.

In Toronto, fountains would usually be frozen. So in the morning, they go jump in the lake.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.