#notallwhitepeople

Ugh, I swear, those ding dang wypipo, always making me wanna do something drastic…

11 Likes

Always bears repeating when this issue comes up…

malcolmquote

20 Likes

What makes you think I’m any different. This is a semantic argument, regarding the word “all”.

Did you read the article I read at The Root?

Please address its main points.

This is not a mere semantic argument. This is a discussion about a common and derailing thing that white people often say in discussions of racial issues. It’s problematic in a variety of ways, most of which have been pointed out to you, and none of which you have acknowledged, let alone addressed. Until you do, there’s no reason for anyone here to take your defensive, nearly monosyllabic commentary seriously.

14 Likes

Yet no one ever used the word “all,” except ironically.

Because the reality is that whenever uncomfortable and unpleasant conversations about SOME White people exhibiting overtly bigoted behavior happen, there’s always at least one person who feels the need to point out what should already be glaringly obvious to anyone with an average intellect;

There are no absolutes, not when it comes human behavior.

No group of people is monolithic, so it should go without saying that “100% ALL of people of group X are ____!” isn’t what’s being stated, no matter how much of a generalization is being made.

Trying to redirect the focus of a discussion to mere semantics is a well known ‘tried and true’ derailment tactic.

The immense irony of this post is that you seemed to have misunderstood the initial sarcastic comment, and ended up doing exactly what it described.

Bottom line:

WE KNOW IT’S NOT “ALL” WHITE PEOPLE WHO ACT LIKE THIS, BUT WE’RE SPECIFICALLY TALKING ABOUT THE ONES THAT DO.

If you’re not one of the White people who behaves like this, then we’re not talking about you.

21 Likes

It’s like, congratulations on not being a racist fuckwad. What do you want? An award or something?

20 Likes

Obligs:

21 Likes

** Points upward **

This, this right here from @Melz2.

The only reason to pull out a “notall[insert traditionally privileged/empowered group here]” is because you’re fundamentally insecure that maybe you are that way, and you need reassurance.

Which only proves the point of the person you’re notalling, most times.

12 Likes

YEAH!

and bland palaver from pot stirrers is the solution, for no one.

them them them

1 Like

Funny, given how that song was meant to have an anti-prejudice message. #notallsongwriters

4 Likes

Yes, I did read it, after this tempest was already spun up.

When we write about things that white people do, we use the generic phrase “white people” as a catchall (see also: wypipo). We use it to represent the type of collective whiteness that unites white people even when y’all aren’t all on the same page or following the same agenda or falling into the same category. It’s that “general you” versus “specific you” type of thing.

And that article, really an editorial, examined why that language shortcut is part of how The Root goes about characterizing “white people”. Maybe Oxford can take that up in their next edition.

Thank you to everyone who bothered to jump on the bandwagon for your remedial tone. I appreciate the opportunity to conduct your electromagnetic vitriol into equilibrium.

1 Like

::hops on bandwagon::
Well there goes your right to complain about condescension.

For real though, the complaint which lies behind the creation of wypipo is the same which generates the exasperation people are experiencing in conversation with you: white people built white supremacy, have used it to treat PoC with extreme shittiness for four centuries, and still can’t even bring themselves to talk about it let alone godforfuckingbid do something about it (repackaging does not count.)

Yeah yeah yeah. Not all white people. What the hell ever. The not all white people haven’t really done fuckall, they’ve (we’ve) no real standing to contest the phrase.

14 Likes

Oh, do I detect a willingness to take your fingers out of your ears for once if dear old Oggsford is speaking?

You might then have a listen to them on the topic of “white fragility” – you’ve been displaying it here most splendiferously, ever since you began your (common white) efforts to turn a discussion about racism directed at black people into one about (supposed) white victimhood.

Read and learn (about yourself) – please!

8 Likes

synecdoche

NOUN

A figure of speech in which a part is made to represent the whole or vice versa, as in England lost by six wickets (meaning ‘ the English cricket team’).

3 Likes

“Shallow understanding from people of goodwill is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.”

55 years later and still it is the truth.

10 Likes

If I want a cookie from Chris, I’ll just ask him for one the next time I see him. And then he can ignore me, cross the street, and wonder what the fuck is going on.

?

What are you talking about? Why would that cause him to “wonder what the fuck is going on”?

The glaring contrast between your condescension and your refusal to engage in any substantive way with others here is getting mighty tiresome.

6 Likes

what do you have against tall songwriters?

3 Likes

some people also do it when they’re bored, in front of people they perceive as likely to react to it.