Noted antisemite loses millions failing to renovate beachfront home

Originally published at: Noted antisemite loses millions failing to renovate beachfront home - Boing Boing

6 Likes

TBH a $4 million markdown on the property value is pretty modest considering how badly he effed it up.

22 Likes

Oh no!
Anyway…

9 Likes

Sad Jk GIF by Jim Gaffigan

7 Likes

It says something about the state of the world right now that I had to click through to find out who the story was actually about. (It turned out that I guessed wrong, but hey, it couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy.)

12 Likes

Yeah, this surprised me:

“Much of the architectural integrity and the architectural value of the house exists,”

Then again, realtor-speak is often at odds with perceived reality.

Thought there was a story here re: that schmuck’s turning that house into a bunker of sorts. That pic U’ve posted looks like a box of concrete mess.

10 Likes

12 Likes

All the charm of an abandoned military bunker with none of the protection from the elements.

15 Likes

Apparently Yeezus was not a carpenter.

12 Likes

This is what it looked like before he ripped out windows, doors, plumbing, electric, and pretty much any feature beyond bare concrete…which has been sitting in the open air for over a year. There’s gonna be a lot of mold and other stuff, I’m sure.

13 Likes

The ocean isn’t kind to exposed concrete.

11 Likes

That’s realtor speak for “He fucked it up real good, you guys, but the walls are still standing, so you can rebuild it and still claim it’s by the star architect”

10 Likes

One day I really should take the time to look into whatever zoning regulations that bit of coastline has. And fire safety codes.
Is there an architectural loophole like the “light truck” loophole for cars?

3 Likes

4 Likes

“… Much of the architectural integrity and the architectural value of the house exists …” is damning with pretty faint praise.

It’s a little like the pilot of your plane cheerfully announcing that “a majority of the flight control surfaces are still intact and a double-digit percentage of our original fuel load is still available” after a mid-air collision over the Atlantic.

7 Likes

I think that is the “architectural integrity” the realtor speaks of. Whatever changes and additions were made for the sake of livability have been removed so you have a box of concrete from which you could restore to original if you wanted.

1 Like

“Used car for sale. Several of the seats, doors and wheels remain.”

10 Likes

I think it’s more “chassis still attached to some bodywork”.

6 Likes

Someone is smoking something, it looks like the shell of a generic office building.

Still, nothing a decent landslip, earthquake or storm surge can’t fix.

4 Likes

Oh he effed it up alright. I’m surprised he only lost $4m. The minute he tore out the windows and whatever interiors were in there, he lost the integrity of the starchitect factor that added value to this house. Not that I’m a huge fan of the design, but it is like modding a $25m original Ferrari with all the modern amenities and expecting it to be worth at least as much as you paid for it. Will never happen. Ando is a very good (living) architect and his name tied to anything will add value. I’m not some schmuck here either, I’m an architect who’s been doing this shit for more than a couple decades.

10 Likes