Novelist who wrote about murdering her husband found guilty of murdering her husband

Originally published at: Novelist who wrote about murdering her husband found guilty of murdering her husband | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I thought it was the guy in the hat who killed the other guy?

9 Likes

Technically it wasn’t titled “How to Murder Your Husband, And Get Away With It

22 Likes

I guess “Hot Lead Through the Head, Now He’s Dead” wasn’t husband-specific enough.

9 Likes

It’s always the person you most suspect.

10 Likes

There was just one flaw in her complex and brilliant plan to hide the crime…

8 Likes

But did she do it “by the book”?

9 Likes

And she’d have got away with it too, if not for some brilliant, inspired detective work that allowed police to home in on the last person anyone would ever have suspected.

7 Likes

This is why murders that get solved, get solved. Because they are crimes of passion or familial connection where the most likely suspect is in fact, the murderer. Oh, and also, many criminals are stupid or blinded by self-interest.

Otherwise, not so much.

5 Likes

There’s an old English joke about a magician and a parrot on a cruise ship. Every time the magician does a trick, the parrot spoils it. “It’s up his sleeve.“ “There’s a fake compartment in the hat.” And then the ship’s boiler blows up. And the magician and the parrot are floating on a piece of wreckage on the open ocean for three days. The parrot is just looking at the magician, head cocked, one eye. Finally the parrot says, “OK, I give up… What did you do with the boat? “

10 Likes

Curious as to whether the book will see an uptick in sales, or people returning it because the information is faulty.

5 Likes

8 Likes

Common mistake to completely forget that technology exists.

3 Likes

Great movie from the Sixties: “How To Murder Your Wife,” starring Virna Lisi and Jack Lemmon.

3 Likes

So she was trying the same defense as Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct, only without the sleeping with/gaslighting the investigating officer.

1 Like

And now she can write a book about how to cope with retirement in prison.

Seriously, even not stupid people can be really stupid.

3 Likes
  • Did not know of, or discounted, the issue of now uber-ubiquitous surveillance camera images

• Used her personal computer to research untraceable guns

• Did not permanently delete her online searches/info for untraceable guns

• Purchased gun and untraceable parts from open, easily investigated sources

• Did not know of, or discounted, possibility of her cell data being used to determine her comings and goings

• Did not consider that purchases of multiple insurance policies would draw suspicion onto her.

• Documented her game plan in a book

I thought romance novelists were supposed to be smart. /s

6 Likes

From the article:

The verdict: guilty of second-degree murder.

Shouldn’t it be first degree murder? If writing such a novel isn’t premeditation, what is? The exact wording varies by state, but they all define first degree murder as committed with intent and premeditation.

How did the prosecutor not introduce the book as evidence of premeditation?

1 Like

Or, you know, the buying and assembling of a difficult to trace gun.

2 Likes

In Oregon “second degree” seems to be the generic form of murdering

“First degree” is like second degree but with various aggravating circumstances, which I guess weren’t present here or they couldn’t prove

4 Likes