Trump says coronavirus restrictions should extend to April 30, forget the Easter thing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/29/now-trump-says-coronavirus-res.html

Trump on Sunday said he’s extending COVID-19 social distancing guidelines until April 30.

4 Likes

Anyone with a working brain and a realistic sense of self preservation isn’t listening to a damn thing that Orange Asshole says.

*continues to shelter in place while washing hands repeatedly

41 Likes

Trump’s approval rating has gone up during this period.
I think it’s all the TV exposure he’s getting.
It doesn’t matter what a monster he is: he’s a monster on TV.

15 Likes

Trump said his administration was extending the guidelines with hope of avoiding a catastrophic death toll.
“So if we can hold that down, as we’re saying, to 100,000, it’s a horrible number, maybe even less, but to 100,000, so we have between 100 and 200,000, we all together have done a very good job,” Trump said.
The King of Word Salad; he’s OK with a death toll of between 100,000 and 200,000 people and considers that a Good Job. Christ, what an asshole.

31 Likes

If it hit 500,000 he’d say “They said it would be much higher, but they were wrong. Just like they always are. You’re welcome.”

22 Likes

Good grief. A Magic 8 Ball would make a better president, and be more consistent. Plus, they aren’t malicious beings that demand worship upon pain of denial of life saving supplies. :-/

21 Likes

Thank you sweet lord baby jeezus once again, for making me a non-American.

13 Likes

Oh, that’s a surprise. I thought we’d have the churches full come Easter.

30 Likes

The King of Word Salad; he’s OK with a death toll of between 100,000 and 200,000 people and considers that a Good Job . Christ, what an asshole.

I keep hearing this narrated in the voice of John Oliver from Last Week Tonight.
(This writes itself.)

13 Likes

I’m going to cut His Orangeness some slack on this one. While part of me wanted to him to double down on an Easter reopening, being smugly right isn’t worth the carnage. He deferred to the experts (for once). Let it continue, at least until he gets voted out in November.

12 Likes

21671.jpeg

21 Likes

I never remember when Easter is and really wish people would just stick to using dates.

15 Likes

Its always the sunday after the first full moon on or after the vernal equinox, silly!

35 Likes

2 Likes

This is typical in a time of disaster. People want to unite around a leader to see them through a crisis. Just look at how Bush the Lesser had his approval jump from around 50% to 90% after 9/11.

The data is showing every world leader is getting a bump right now, and the interesting thing is that they are getting considerable bumps when compared to Trump who still can’t seem to get out of the 40s. If anything this is just further evidence of what a shitty job he’s doing - even in a time of crisis he can’t get the country united behind him.

All he should need to do is take some decisive action and look presidential, but all he’s doing is the same shit as usual; attacking others, passing the buck, flip-flopping, and sowing confusion.

21 Likes

We may be able to slow the spread, flatten the curve - but it will continue for many more months. Social distancing and isolation will continue, at some level, until we either hit herd immunity from a high percentage of the population surviving the virus, or until a vaccine is developed, tested and ready to produce - then produced - then distributed and given. The vaccine thing won’t get into your arm for a year and a half or two years.

And if the virus starts to mutate rapidly, all bets are off.

10 Likes

No, that’s the date of Percussion Aftershocks Easter. The normal US Easter is 17 days after the feast of Dr. John the Bopptist, or the third day of Absolvination, whichever comes first.

7 Likes

I want some of what you’re having.

4 Likes

Great things are coming, eh?

10 Likes

“I mean, looking at what we’re seeing now, I would say between 100,000 and 200,000 … deaths,” Fauci told CNN’s State of the Union, though he added: “I just don’t think that we really need to make a projection, when it’s such a moving target that you can so easily be wrong and mislead people.”

So Fauci didn’t really say that those were their numbers backed by their projections. Somehow I think that those are the low-ball numbers if we catch every possible lucky break along the way.

I mean, 10M infected with a 1% mortality rate gives 100,000 dead.

9 Likes