NPR’s Planet Money explores the economics of super hero intellectual property

Originally published at: NPR's Planet Money explores the economics of super hero intellectual property | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I heard the piece Planet Money did on this this morning and it made me smile which is always welcome these days.

1 Like

a sentient tree that only says “I am Groot” and only appeared in a handful of 70s comics would have seemed like a useless corporate asset in 2004

It’s pretty amazing how the Guardians of the Galaxy were exhumed from limbo and turned into one of the biggest movie franchises. They were has-beens without ever really having been, in two distinct versions even, until the movie came along.

2 Likes

whole… what? ;-p

I wrote a play called “True Believers” that was set at a comic book convention. It premiered in July 2012, and the closing weekend coincided with San Diego Comic-Con 2012.

I was a fan of both early Guardians interactions, so I had a throw-away line in the script where an editor is talking to a young comic writer and says, “Weren’t you doing that book for Marvel about the tree? What was that line? ‘I am Groot?’ That was great!”

I was pleased with the double-entendre there — it is a great line if you get it, and if you don’t get it, it’s funny, cuz it’s dumb! I thought I was being so clever!

…and then I had to cut it cuz it wasn’t funny anymore.

2 Likes

Charlton comics, not Charleston.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.