NRA hacked, claim hackers

Originally published at: NRA hacked, claim hackers | Boing Boing

7 Likes

I am skeptical. I thought the ransomware gangs had strict rules against going after Russian assets.

25 Likes

Top marks for the pic alone. Also, I’d feel sorry for anyone to be hacked, but… this organisation in particular has done so much societal damage.

7 Likes

I’m sure there are plenty of “good guy with a gun” jokes that can be made here. . . .

10 Likes

If we’re lucky, they’ll accelerate the NRA’s bankruptcy.

12 Likes

The world would of course be a much better place if this were in fact true.

7 Likes

I hope this is true. It would make a nice trifecta with Empty G getting fleeced by Biff and Betsey DeVos losing $100-million to Elizabeth Holmes.

10 Likes

Not the Russians! I thought they were on the same side?

4 Likes

It was a good joke but I was curious if what you were saying was true. Apparently it was until recently:

It’s very disturbing that Russia could get such a reputation for exacting justice outside of the bounds of legal recourse that hackers wouldn’t go after legit looking businesses because if it.

5 Likes

Uh-oh, sounds like a bunch of Russian operatives are about to get doxxed.

9 Likes

If they can’t protect their own house; why trust them with your own safety?

10 Likes

So, if their data is being held for ransom, is there any chance an interested third party could just, say, buy it, or pay them to keep it encrypted?

Asking for a friend.

5 Likes

That’s BB’s standard photo for hacking stories, and it’s really one of the greatest stock photos of all time. It’s everything that makes stock photos… well, what they are. It’s right up there with Women Laughing With Salad (a Tumblr of greatness that BB has featured)

14 Likes

Indeed!

cc @unhallowed

7 Likes

The only thing that can stop a Bad Guy with a keyboard and mouse is a Good Guy with a keyboard and mouse and you can take mine from my cold, carpal-tunneled fingers.

7 Likes

Somehow I am envisioning this as a “dog ate my homework” answer to a subpoena.

If what the NRA is claiming is true, and the hackers are willing to provide the unencrypted originals to the court, I can see some very interesting results from this.

Edit: Clarify what the true event is.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Every time I see this, I am reminded of the (Pre COVID) Volkswagen commercial.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Good Grief! Ransomware gang has only gone and pwned the NRA – or so it claims

Between US sanctions on baddies and NRA claiming bankruptcy, what are the chances anyone’s getting paid?

https://www.theregister.com/2021/10/28/grief_ransomware_gang_nra/

Grief ransomware gang took to a dark portal website where it typically publishes the data of victims that haven’t paid up, to identify its latest target: the National Rifle Association (NRA).

The ransomware gang, believed by the US Department of the Treasury to be a rebranded version of Russia-based Evil Corp, posted 13 documents it claimed it had filched from the NRA on the leak site and threatened to release more if the gun rights advocacy group didn’t pay up. The documents appear to be minutes from a board meeting, some financial documents and grant information.

[…]

Assuming the NRA is not bankrupt and has the means to pay, it could find itself in quite a pickle as the cybergang at arms is under US financial sanctions. The sanctions were imposed on Grief / Evil Corp’s parent company, DoppelPaymer, in December 2019 and mean American-linked businesses cannot buy off these crims without exposing themselves to further risks from regulators.

3 Likes