NSA can't legally surveil Americans' every phone call, for now. Thanks, Edward Snowden

[Read the post]

1 Like

I wonder if theyā€™ll just get/have already gotten a FISA warrant for surveiling the world. Problem solved!

4 Likes

The operative word being ā€œlegallyā€

9 Likes

Did I read the changes incorrectly? They can still do everything they did before, they just wont have to pay to store the data. Phone subscribers will pay that cost. It sounds like the NSA budget proofed the surveillance so it can continue without fear of budget cuts taking it down. They also get to keep everything they have so far.

3 Likes

As I understand it, they couldnā€™t explicitly legally do so before, they just sort of squinted at the guidelines and said, ā€œYeah, we choose to believe it says we canā€.

I wouldnā€™t advise taking off the tinfoil hat just yet.
But what do I know? Everyone around me is just collateral damage by virtue of me not being American.

3 Likes

We need the PATRIOT act, for how else are we going to punish Saddam for the 9/11 attacks? Do you just want him to get away with murder?

4 Likes

Thatā€™s right citizen, we totally arenā€™t completely ignoring the law, secure in the knowledge that weā€™ll never be held accountable, anymore. No-sirry-bob. Weā€™ve turned over a new leaf!

3 Likes

Add a provision to the new bill to the effect of ā€˜Every American citizen must club to death 12 baby seals using their own surgically extracted femurā€™ or something?

Or ā€˜The last amendment is rubber, this amendment is glue, the bat-mobile lost a wheel and landed in some spewā€™?

Or ā€˜Itā€™s backwards day, so that means you do want to kiss satan on the buttā€™, maybe ā€˜nyeh nyehā€™ or ā€˜wahhhhhhhhhhhā€™.

Perhaps Iā€™m giving them too much credit?

2 Likes

But will they actually stop? In all the news coverage Iā€™ve seen no one has mentioned what will happen to the program, the people it employs and the data it has already collected.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.