NSA gets caught illegally collecting phone and text data (again), blames telephone companies

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/27/nsa-gets-caught-illegally-coll.html

3 Likes

Decoding America’s spies: What does the NSA’s cryptic memo really mean? Citizens illegally spied on again

4 Likes

ROGER THAT!

Other than, you know, it’ll be a fantastic tool for our jackbooted oppressors, so they’ll just leave it going for now… just in case. 'Merica!

8 Likes

Ok but what if the telecoms really did hand over data that wasn’t properly scoped?

Hanlon’s razor.

3 Likes

The NSA is America’s friend enemy, frenemy. So say I.

1 Like

[

NSA gets caught illegally collecting phone and text data (again), blames telephone companies](NSA gets caught illegally collecting phone and text data (again), blames telephone companies)

boing

Do you want live notifications when people reply to your posts? Enable Notifications.

NSA gets caught illegally collecting phone and text data (again), blames telephone companies

boing

/

Today is the anniversary of the day I joined this communityfrauenfelder

26m

Originally published at:https://boingboing.net/2019/06/27/nsa-gets-caught-illegally-coll.html

Show Full Post…

• created

26m

• [

last reply

](NSA gets caught illegally collecting phone and text data (again), blames telephone companies)

24m

FGD135

24m

Decoding America’s spies: What does the NSA’s cryptic memo really mean? Citizens illegally spied on again

theregister.co.uk

Decoding America’s spies: What does the NSA’s cryptic memo really mean?..

Too much data slurped in October, months after snoops vowed not to do that

Douglas_Moreen

4m

Supposedly, NSA’s original charter forbids them from spying inside of the United States or on US citizens inside of the United States.
But that charter was classified so we will never know.
Here’s a short and simplified story about that agency’s beginnings.

By the way, this article is missing a lot of interesting and important details that could be published these days. But I’ll leave that research project to anybody who’s interested enough to do it themselves.

2 Likes

Is this a weird test?

1 Like

I think cicada 3301 is back

1 Like

The gangsters of yesteryear had it right all along: stay off the effing phone! [add modern network cables by extension]

1 Like

Dear government agencies:

If you constantly go to work wondering why the American public hates you and doesn’t trust you,

SHIT LIKE THIS IS WHY.

Thanks and go die in a fire,

-The entire American population that doesn’t trust you

1 Like

My first thought too.
“Hey Bob, NSA wants info on TERRIST #1001 again.”
“Just use that report tool we wrote last year.”
“Okay”

I remember listening to Scott Sigler talk about how he did research for his novels and that for Infected he got the NSA info from an anonymous source which detailed the actual rooms where the PRISM taps would be. All that was in 2004 iirc, it’s wild how no one wants to talk about how this was known and really how brazen the NSA has been about it. It’s like they think they’re the only ones using these things. LOL

2 Likes

Mark fell for the misleading headline.

The top comment on this story at Hacker News sums it up better than I could:

The title is super misleading. It has the NSA being the subject of the sentence, the entity doing the verb. If you read the document, it’s clear that the NSA followed the law in how they sent requests over to the phone companies, and a couple companies made errors in what they sent back. When NSA discovered this, they reported it through the proper channels. This is like, the opposite of nefarious action, guys. A better title would have the phone companies as the subject of the sentence. “Phone companies improperly sent data to the NSA for a second time, documents reveal.” Of course, being honest in the title wouldn’t misinform and scare people…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.