NSA remains fully committed to illegally spying on its citizens

Originally published at: NSA remains fully committed to illegally spying on its citizens | Boing Boing

8 Likes

I am shocked, SHOCKED, to learn that a spy agency is spying on us.

12 Likes

word salad

16 Likes

Hanlon’s Razor.

5 Likes

Expect a protest march with everyone driving there in their GPS located vehicles, carrying their smartphones that announce their entire life story to the closest cell tower every 60 seconds.

8 Likes

So they monitor everybody, yet they can’t seem to spy on the actual bad guys? Seems legit.

18 Likes

I’m wondering if I can call them up and be like “Hey, that email from my aunt that I deleted 3 years ago, you guys have it? Cuz I want a copy of it now.”

15 Likes

Press on this always misses the point.

They are debating the nuance of allowed database query terms so as to ensure Americans are excluded.

But they shouldn’t be gathering the data at all. The “spying on Americans” part has already happened. The NSA has convinced regulators to argue with them only on how that data in their database (which shouldn’t be there to begin with) is examined. This was their true victory over democracy.

16 Likes

18 Likes

Always the lowest hanging fruit.

5 Likes

The biggest insult is that even with all that illegal spying they rarely seem to have any positive results to show for it. Just look at the January 6 insurrection—there’s no WAY any domestic spying operation didn’t see the signs of that one coming. So if they can’t use their ill-gotten intel to stop the bad shit from going down then what the hell is the point?

24 Likes

The NSA will continue to spy on us illegally and they will continue to keep their jobs and funding. There is absolutely no incentive for them to follow the rules.

12 Likes

It’s almost like they’re just begging a competent fascist to take the Presidency, then disband congress. It’s all the data an authoritarian regime needs to round up dissidents and domestic “enemies”.

14 Likes

Nothing has really changed since 9/11 – the various spook agencies are so jealous of their sources (“assets”) that they can never stand to risk them by letting anyone – including other US spooks – know what they find by actually using the “take.”

6 Likes

+1-301-688-6311.
Ask for Paul or Georgie.

4 Likes

8 Likes

And if you think that all they’re doing is listening, then I have a bridge to sell you.

They’re also actively taking part in shaping the online and media narrative, to push the messages that they want, and disrupt and dissipate the ones they don’t.

4 Likes

I mean, it gets a lot of flack here for which side has been using it a lot lately but the term “deep state” was basically invented for this situation.

4 Likes

Exactly. It’s been brought up previously about how they celebrate their own obnoxious SIGINT internally - “sniff it all, know it all, collect it all, process it all, exploit it all, partner it all”.

5 Likes

since I entered this secret society history item I picked up ‘the body of secrets’
it seems the momentum started scratching the surface after the bay of pigs… if not before (Wii imitation game) (don’t tell the enemy the secret score) certain movements in cuba