Nude statues at Rome museum covered to not embarrass Iranian president

Hey, maybe they just didn’t want to get immortalized on film drooling and salivating/licking their lips…

3 Likes

He just wanted to make sure he was the biggest dick in the room!

10 Likes

I hate to be that guy, but seriously, when in Rome . . . .

. . . . ok I don’t actually hate being that guy at all. Foreign nimrods should expect my house to be different from theirs.

3 Likes

So it’s not even people dick’s he’s worried about? It’s a horse dick?

2 Likes

Strange though it may be I find myself here in the position of sympathy with the president of Iran. We’re I to host a pious Muslim guest, head of state or not, I’d make it a point to ensure an appropriate environment in the first place.

Edited to remove word that caused wrong meaning

4 Likes

A simple effective choice to create such an environment would have been to cover said prude’s head with an opaque bag.

4 Likes

Yeah. Or tell him not to look at them if he finds them offensive, then loudly call him a pervert whenever you catch him staring. They’re so interested in self-flagellation anyway.

1 Like

No need to cover up the whole body, though.

2 Likes

I can kinda almost maybe see wanting to remove from view instances of naked humans for the benefit of a foreign, culturally prudish dignitary, but a horse?

Don’t they have animals in Iran? Do they clothe them all?

4 Likes

The act of preparing to host a guest often involves doing something stupid.

1 Like

Have they ever seen a real, live horse? Or do horses wear pants in Iran? What about dogs? And cats?

What I dont get is - if he didnt want to see nude statues, he shouldnt have been taken to museums. I dont think the Govt office is chock full of statues. I know the airport isnt!

3 Likes

Christ. . . what a horses asshole.

Men who follow extremely patriarchal religions seem incapable of controlling themselves when tempted, hence burkas or at least extreme dressing down for women. Who knows what this guy might feel tempted by.

Just a thought, anyway.

6 Likes

What would a US president do when on an official state visit to a country where women regularly go topless in public? (there are at least some pacific island where the custom extends beyond the beach).

Might photos of the US president smiling at barebreasted young ladies be used against him in domestic politics? Might he therefore take steps to avoid being photographed with them?

Or, a different example: Assume a European politician visits a gun show in America. European leftists might complain, but he’s from a center-right party anyway. Somebody takes a second look at a photo of the politician at the gun show and notices that - OMG there are kids at the gun show. Now THAT is going too far. Guns are not for little kids. Suddenly he’s facing a PR disaster back home.
Or maybe the politician’s hosts would have asked parents to leave their kids at home on the day of the visit?

As soon as we respect that different cultures have different standards / taboos with respect to nudity - in other words, as soon as we have any respect for different cultures at all - I don’t see why we should be surprised or upset by this.

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. I think it’s stupid and the his religion is stupid and his country has backwards policies, but the argument against this diplomatic action is not far from complaining about minaret ruining their skyline.

At least the calls to worship have noise pollution attached to them.

Hey, if those statues didn’t want to be not seen, maybe they shouldn’t have not dressed like that.

2 Likes

Am I doing it right?

12 Likes

I wonder if Iran will ever have an adult as a leader. This oversensitive child is doing them no favors.

Why isn’t this the standard. I have friends of all walks and faiths and I try not to offend any of them just because I can. There are times I have large groups and I tell friends that they should expect to be offended at some point, but if it is specifically THEM being the guest of honor? The guest of honor’s wishes get the most attention. If they aren’t? Well whomever else is the guest of honor gets to be the one that we cater to, and everyone else gets to suck it up. To an extent…there are certain core values that no one should abandon for anyone, but not showing dong even in marble form? Doesn’t seen that out of line.

1 Like

Possible reasons which come to mind are

• Desire to enforce a secular environment on a known religious guest.
  • Simple lack of forethought.

I don’t like to assume malicious intent so I figure the second is the most likely explanation.

1 Like