Nukes and Nuke Accessories

4 Likes
3 Likes

That artist’s rendition looks a lot like something out of Command and Conquer.

2 Likes

Construction will be performed by the Brotherhood of Nod corporation?

7 Likes
2 Likes

Alex W recently published his book on the history of USA-ian nuclear secrets. Damn good read.

2 Likes
14 Likes
8 Likes

14 Likes

Forget about the reactor: on-board banya, you say? Nuclear powered sauna?

5 Likes

I’d love to see similar photos of an Alfa-class reactor. Molten lead-bismuth coolant FTW!

4 Likes

Oof, yah. Just came to post this same story.

I’m about as pro-nuclear as people come, but that story is the stuff of nightmares. The line that got me was how it’s small enough to get caught in someone’s tire. I don’t think too many of us regularly check our tires with a Geiger counter. :neutral_face:

9 Likes

The current story is a bolt in the container was shaken loose and the capsule fell through the hole as it was being transported. Mining in Western Australia has a reputation for playing fast and loose with OH&S and employing FI/FO workers with high pay/high risk. This won’t help their reputation.

This time the risk extends beyond the mine boundaries.

12 Likes

I’ve worked FIFO in WA during the construction and commissioning phase of a few of these mines.
One thing I noticed on all of the sites - there and everywhere else - was how rough, tough construction workers treat warning signs.

“Protective Eyewear Required” - I’ll squint instead.
“Hearing Protection Required” - I won’t be in there long and I don’t like wearing earmuffs.
“Radioactivity” - I’m outa here.

12 Likes

JFC. I worked in a foundry when I was at uni (late 80’s in northern Melb suburbs) and the union would have walked you off the site if you’d ignored any of signs. I still feel guilt about the Monday morning I turned up coming down from acid, desperately trying to hide it, but I know if anyone around me had suspected I would have been sacked on the spot.

That “OH&S is for wimps” attitude still scares me.

11 Likes

Typhoon-class boomers have a sauna and a little swimming pool.

7 Likes

They’ve been the minority at most places I’ve been, thankfully. And they take at least one sign seriously, so … better than none? :person_shrugging:

8 Likes
12 Likes
8 Likes
8 Likes