Nukes and Nuke Accessories

I’m not sure whether “unplanned” really is the proper term here. If Xi’s goal is consolidating his control of the PLA, then this is the plan.
The interesting bit is who gets the sack, when, and under which pretext. Keeping everybody else in the dark about it is how this works. It keeps the rank and file both in line and on their toes. The beauty of it is that the leader doesn’t actually need to find any real culprits; if there aren’t any he can just pick someone completely at random.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Aspiration to deploy new UK nuclear reactor every year a ‘wish’, not a plan

“Setting a notably stretching target requires a credible pathway towards its delivery.”

4 Likes

Quit talking out yer arses, in more polite terms.

1 Like

The “nuclear football” the secret service gave Trump while in office.

5 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes
6 Likes

Apropos Oppenheimer: TIL

4 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

PREVIOUSLY ON BOING BOING

2 Likes

I remember reading excerpts from the book in a local newspaper, I think on the fortieth anniversary of the end of World War II. The vivid descriptions of the destruction of the city and the suffering of the victims left me very shaken. To make matters worse, the largest TV station in the country retransmitted a foreign documentary with shocking and impressive images such as the shadows of the citizens of the cities apparently printed on the walls. In the mind of a pre-teen, who thought that the world was in imminent danger of a nuclear holocaust, a bomb like the one at Hiroshima could vaporize my entire universe: My backyard, the square where I played with the other kids, my school and my dog. Although I was sure my parents would survive and find a way to protect us.

Damn Soviets.

But why would they waste a perfect atomic warhead with us?

Ah, Godzilla. I grew up watching His antics with His baby. I was pretty sure He was a single parent.

5 Likes

The ’70s and ’80s, one generation later, were the heyday of a critical reaction to the War and the Bomb. (Today the West is back to spinning it as a Tolkienesque epic of good versus evil.)

People should see the documentary The Day After Trinity — in particular the extraordinary testimony of Robert Serber, who helped both to build the Bombs and also to inspect the Results, and then later talked about it all on camera :grimacing:

5 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

Hey, free candy!

2 Likes

Nuclear power utility Teollisuuden Voima (TVO) on Friday said it had suspended electricity production at the Olkiluoto 2 unit (OL2) in the early hours of Friday morning owing to an increase in humidity in the unit’s generator.

3 Likes