Nukes and Nuke Accessories

3 Likes

BBC News - Fukushima nuclear disaster: Japan to release treated water in 48 hours

3 Likes

Do they want Godzilla, cause I suspect this might be how you get Godzilla…

Angry King Of The Monsters GIF

6 Likes

The material will be familiar to anyone who has read all 500 posts in this thread, but you might have relatives/friends who aren’t aware how much of an existential threat nukes are to our survival.

5 Likes

ezgif.com-gif-maker

6 Likes

Goddamn I love that movie.

8 Likes

ezgif.com-optimize

8 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

From Wikepedia:

UF6:
Boiling point - 56.5 °C (133.7 °F; 329.6 K) (sublimes, at atmospheric pressure)

Not a gas.

I’m not across the nuclear fuel cycle. Is UF6 feedstock to centrifuges?

2 Likes

I’m sure it’ll be fine! Why are you so hysterical! It’s just nuclear… stuff! /s

3 Likes

That would depend on how exactly it is stored, temperature/pressure-wise.
However, I would expect it to be stored in solid form in something like a type 48 F oder 48 Y(d) UF6 container.
The author might have been confused a bit because UF6 is commonly used in its gaseous form in centrifuges.

Anyway, you want to keep this stuff dryer than a Gremlin:

This is mostly about depleted uranium hexafluoride (DUF6), but storage and transport is the same:

5 Likes

Yup. Speaking as a chemical engineer: HF scares the fuck out of me, and wherever possible I will shamelessly stay offsite while it’s in use.

7 Likes

No worries. Its corrosive and toxic properties will get you way before the radiation possibly could.

8 Likes

You may have lead with that. I’m all for redundancy, but something, something, preaching to the choir…

Anyway, my two takeaways from a summer job at the local paint factory were
a) when the old hands that usually handle stuff in a casual and cavalier way all of a sudden get serious and put on ALL the safety gear and triple-check everything, that stuff is really nasty and
b) yes, my future is in civil engineering.

6 Likes
5 Likes

I was surprised I couldn’t find it in Lowe’s Things I won’t work with.

I may have missed it or it could simply be because at least one of the chemicals needed to produce the stuff is on his list.

4 Likes

Lowe’s list has some very exotic things on it that make HF look delightful and forgiving.

And of course, I found out about Lowe through xkcd.

https://what-if.xkcd.com/40/

7 Likes