Nukes and Nuke Accessories

Well, okay then.

5 Likes

Life Of Brian GIF by Monty Python

5 Likes
2 Likes

So… all around worse (!) Boris Johnson but with neater hair?

1 Like

Soldier doing a HALO jump with a MK54 man-portable nuclear weapon.

Unclear whether lead underpants were required

9 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

Scared Kermit The Frog GIF

5 Likes

I’m always a little surprised when people are surprised by this.
Sure, there are less nuclear weapons (in total numbers) in the world than 40 years ago, but

• discarding old warheads that may or may not have worked in the event while still keeping an arsenal large enough to destroy the world several times over
  • improved, much more precise delivery systems
  • new members in the nuclear club

amount to little more than cosmetical changes.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Agreed with all that. I think dismantling all the ones that we did was great, but it’s pretty obvious, in addition to all you said, that the US/Russians are indeed back sliding on disarmament.

4 Likes
5 Likes

“It was Ukrainian terrorists!” in 5, 4, 3, …

5 Likes
2 Likes

Interesting!
And without doing any research whatsoever I’m marking the square on the bingo card that says “urban legend based on a garbled kernel of truth”.

Because that sounds just like something British boffins would have come up with during the cold war (considering other unconventional, low-cost ideas from that era like Blue Peacock), but then didn’t go much further than the “let’s have a little think” stage; mainly for the reasons mentioned in the video.
And the history of it became somewhat garbled later on because of the British government’s ideas about secrecy during the cold war.

3 Likes
5 Likes

That link… wow. Calm, detached, usual-Wikipedia writing style about something that is obvious madness, with mistakes measured in kilotons.

2 Likes

This is practically whimsical compared to ideas like, say SLAM.

2 Likes