"Nut rage" airline exec gets a year in prison

Related: Community service, Lindsay Lohan-style: selfies with the fans or trips to Chiltern Firehouse with some workies | Lindsay Lohan | The Guardian

1 Like

Scientifically speaking "Nut Rage " is a FACT. That too few have understanding of this, is well, just awful.

1 Like

Especially when the in-flight movie is Confessions of a Teenage Peanut Butter Freak…

Yes. It very much would be farfetched. Farfetched, fictional, farcical, funny, and far from fact also fill my fetch.

2 Likes

Perhaps if we knew the details of what the specifics of everybody’s job descriptions and contracts involved. None of this which was available to those running JFK airport where it occurred.

There’s a long history with ships, and a shorter(but heavily analogized from ships) history with aircraft, of a sort of localized reconfiguration of the hierarchy of command.

In the context of HR stuff, assigning Pilot X to fly route Y, setting policies regarding whether you get peanuts or pretzels, etc. yeah, certainly, HQ has broad latitude. However, when a ship or aircraft is considered to be ‘at sea’ or ‘in flight’, the crew(in their capacity as ‘not getting themselves and all the passengers killed professionals’) tends to be accorded substantially greater authority, with the captain at the top of that chain. In the context of operating the aircraft for the duration of the flight, the crew effectively outrank everyone. This power does not extend to non-flight related matters, like awarding themselves new titles and raises; but if it has a reasonable connection to the safety and operation of the aircraft, odds are that it is their call.

The authority is bounded, it’s still his job to fly from point A to point B(unless he deems it necessary to divert to another airport because of mechanical failures, fuel issues, or other emergencies), and it isn’t going to go well for him if a review concludes that his conduct as a pilot was reckless, negligent, etc; but merely being higher on the org chart wouldn’t let the CEO grab the throttle and start doing barrel rolls.

That is where daddy’s little princess really screwed up. I suspect that she would have had more or less unlimited latitude for tyrannical office politics and general messing-with-peons in the office; but once that aircraft left the terminal, the laws of the air applied, and the relevant authorities take a very, very, dim view of interference with flight crews, whether by random drunken passengers or high level executives.

Had she waited until the flight had landed and everyone had deplaned and then forced him to grovel in public for his job, or something like that, she probably would have been legally clear. On the plane, not so much.

2 Likes

It is quite true that the US courts had nothing to do with this case; but interfering with flight crew is a bad idea in most jurisdictions. Hard to say what actually would have happened; but 14 CFR 121.580 similarly frowns on messing with the flight crew in an American context. She didn’t, so we had nothing to do with the matter; but you could probably score a similar sentence here by causing enough of a fuss.

“Uh-oh, looks like we’re in for… more turbulence!”

3 Likes

#PEANUTS AREN’T NUTS 

ahem, readies myself for a terrible joke that no one will laugh at

YOUR NUTS!!

1 Like

"I can clearly see "

The doctor looked up with surprise. His next patient, a sea captain that had been in many a time before had just walked in. “I… Why… Ahem. There seems to be a ship’s wheel stuck to your groin”, he finally managed to say.

" Aye," replied the old salt, “it’s driving me nuts.”

6 Likes
3 Likes

OFFS, how is this a crime. She didn’t even Release The Fucking Fury.

Oh, bravo!

True story: I once told that joke to Jesse Helms. He didn’t get it. He was polite about it. But he didn’t get it.

2 Likes

When you’re South Korean, in Seoul, you’re not ‘a foreign businessperson’.

Did you have your coffee this AM?

This was my error based upon not reading the entire article. I read what she was charged with, and where it happened. I wasn’t aware that she was charged and tried in South Korea.

We do things a bit more chill on the Merkel Party Plane.

Well that’s not very respectful of the commenting community.

Everyone has opinions. Maybe make sure the ones shared are about the story?

To be so passive about responsibilities, while acting so assertively with rights, it is rather passive aggressive. It’s the very definition of it. Not castigating your character, just explaining the hostile responses.

I tend to agree. I think there is an element of trial by social media in this.

The relevant trial was in the court, where she was found guilty and sentenced to prison.

Gossip is not ‘social media’. Gossip is what happens when you get sentenced to prison.

Logical consequence, not conspiracy