Nutella fans enraged over recipe change

I wonder if this has to do with the attempted coup in Turkey? (Turkey produces 3/4 the world supply of hazelnuts, supposedly the post-coup crackdown has lead to the government taking more control of all industries.)

2 Likes

Not sure 1% is going to make much of a difference.

4 Likes

The palm oil sourcing is much more worrisome than any recipe tweaks.

1. Nutella cites a commitment to responsibly source palm oil through the “Ferrero Palm Oil Charter” but their own link to it goes to an outdated four year old item on what the charter expected to have happen in 2014 and 2015.
  2. The News header on that Ferrero corporate site leads to an admission dated Aug 31 2017 that three years later, in 2016, they still “faced several challenges” and in fact had to DUMP THEIR SUPPLIERS.

So, all this time, Nutella’s promise of sustainable palm oil has been bullshit and the rainforests have continued to suffer.

10 Likes

Proving once more that no matter how many “business” degrees your consultants or advisors have, if they tell you to change something that has made you a fortune over the decades and which has millions of fans in order for you to make a ha’penny more per jar, the best response is to tell them to “go stick their head in a pig” if I may quote the late Douglas Adams.

These people seem to keep forgetting if they muck with something, people just might stop buying it.

3 Likes

So maybe after they start making Nutella Classic they can rebrand the stuff made using the modified recipe Newtella.

5 Likes

Where is NATO when we need it the most?

1 Like

Well I’ve got no sympathy for them (the fans). All this time I’ve thought Nutella tastes like crap but you didn’t hear me whining about it.

1 Like

You may as well just eat a tub of pre-prepared cake frosting!

1 Like

Sticking one’s “head” in a pig is David Cameron’s ham…errrr…I meant…jam.

Thanks for bringing that up.

I have friends working in Indonesia. Palm oil is the best stuff for the food industry, but environmentally speaking the worst idea.
I try to avoid it.
Impossible.

Avoiding Nutella, however, and finding a palm-oil free alternative, with a better taste: yip, done that
(Rigoni di Asiago Nocciolata, if anyone cares.)

5 Likes

Not to mention, it’s pretty unhealthy for you to eat that.

1 Like

It’s not like Nutella is the only brand of gianduja in the world. Or even a very good one.

It is, however, the only brand of gianduja available in most stores.

1 Like

Expect a wave of overdose deaths as people overestimate how much of the new stuff they need to get where they want to be.

4 Likes

It saved another shoe, though!

Unless you go through tons of this a week, might be better to just make it yourself. Tons of recipes out there and you can use very high quality chocolate, as light or as dark as you like. Good way to avoid the palm oil too. It’s mostly too sweet for me. I’d rather toast some good bread and put a little Irish or French butter on it then melt some really good dark chocolate on top for pain au chocolat.

1 Like

“the quality . . . and all other aspects of Nutella remain the same,”

The ingredients aren’t an aspect?

“Nutella isn’t a product, it’s a philosophy…”

1 Like

I googled diy hazelnut spread low carb and found some interesting recipes, haven’t tried them myself yet.
They are basically hazelnuts, cocoa powder, coconut oil, sugar or sugar substitute, and salt, vanilla optional.

Recipe 1 - WellnessMama.com

Recipe 2 - SugarfreeMom.com

I compared the nutrition label of Nutella and chocolate cake frosting a couple of years ago, out of curiosity. If I remember right, the Nutella has a bit more protein, and that’s about the only difference.

1 Like

Don’t fuck with the Fritos!

Enrico explained that this saying was coined after a dip in Fritos’s sales. An investigation revealed a chemist at the flavourant plant had tinkered with the formula, believing his new way achieved the same taste more cheaply. The chemist was convinced there was no difference, but customers noticed a change and were buying less. As soon as Fritos were made the old way, sales recovered.

Pepsi’s comeback: Part II – The Mail & Guardian

1 Like

We ruefully await the recently departed domino effect

1 Like