NY public dog park hijacked by over-entitled locals

A classically enclosed commons. It’s good to read about one being reversed.

7 Likes
  1. You do not talk about Dog Park.
  2. You do NOT talk about Dog Park.
3 Likes

Ugh, I can’t imagine having to mix with the hoi borzoi.

12 Likes

I’d be careful if I were DOOT*. Right now, you’re out the cost of a lock and some institutional pride. But if the city decided to start getting bloody-minded about this, it could probably go after the club and its constituent members for some very nasty penalties in both civil and criminal court. Governments don’t tolerate unauthorized mini-governments in their midst, especially ones that generate complaints, and there are lots of ways they can get you for it.

For that matter, if I’d shelled out ~$1,000 over the last ten years to a private club because it gave me the false impression that it was operating under color of law, I’d be in a suing mood myself.

* I’d also pick a name that gave me a less silly acronym.

14 Likes

DOOT need to implement a little under-the-table kickback to their ward captain. Geez, you’d think in NY they’d have figured that out! Amateurs.

2 Likes

Brenda Kahn spoofed it well when she sang “This land is is my land, this land is mine, and that land, that’s mine too …”

2 Likes

Maybe we should just ask the dogs what should happen here In fact I think the world would be a much better place if dogs ran everything. I would watch CSPAN all day everyday if the Senate floor was filled with nothing but barking, tail-wagging dogs

3 Likes

Also if the Parks dept doesnt have to spend money maintaining a park with no complaints they likely will just not worry? They never looked in ten years because they didn’t want to know what they’d find, or if they did, they let it go.

4 Likes

This story is a great analogue for TriBeCa itself, a kind of invented neighborhood, formally a commercial/industrial area transformed by artists and squatters into a semi-inhabitable zone, then colonized by the super-wealthy, who transformed it into what it is today: a lovely place to stroll around but in which the average Joe can never expect to reside.

2 Likes

My guess is that they will be replacing that lock quickly in the hopes that it will take the Parks Dept. a year to get back around to dealing with it. If I were in the area I think I might be carrying my “keys to the city” on dog walks really early in the morning.

1 Like

I’d guess you’ll have enough other outraged DOG OWNERS around to keep an eye out now.

What she meant was no one who matters wants this

1 Like

Heh-heh. I thought I was the only one who liked dogs & horses, but thought their owners were just…a bit…entitled.

“You say your (dog/horse) is like your child? Damn, you’ve made some really dumb children…Your child just ate his own poop.”

3 Likes

Do this don’t do that can’t you read the siiiiignnns

that whole album holds up better than most

3 Likes

How about DOGG: Dog Owners of Galt’s Gulch?

3 Likes

There’s nothing remotely specific to dog people about this.

They also established a Fight Club-style list of rules to keep their utopia private.

“Fight club-style” how? In that it’s a list of rules?

It’s not coincidental that its dog people, though. Cat people like us are just better. We don’t demand parks for our pets, or get all hussy when restaurants and stores don’t let us bring our pets because our pets stay at home like they are supposed to.

4 Likes