NY public dog park hijacked by over-entitled locals

Would it be tacky to mention the whole “relentless appetite for avian blood sacrifice” issue?

Because if cats were any more enthusiastic about slaughter they’d either be a grindcore metal act or a 20th century nation state.

6 Likes

But that’s only by people who let their cats roam, rather than being responsible people with indoor cats. I fully agree that people who don’t take responsibility for their animals are reprehensible.

2 Likes

To be fair, if we did, the cats would studiously ignore said park by sitting right outside of it, probably in an empty box that someone left…

cat-skateboard-deal

ouran-HS-host-club-crying-laugh-twins

11 Likes

Hmm… I think the evidence speaks for itself:

7 Likes

You left out the part about how the traders and lawyers illegally occupied spaces designated by zoning for “artists in residence” while the city turned a blind eye. When I needed a workshop in 1986 the only space I could find was in a basement.

These guys have nothing on the dog cabal that used to run our neighborhood assn. They took the entire 4.5 acre park for their dog run, for decades opposing anyone who though dogshit everywhere and off leash dogs attacking children was a bad idea and wanted a dog run. This was their idea of “sharing” the park rather than their precious dogs being forced into a dog run ghetto. There were some UGLY meetings before it was finally resolved and runs were built as part of the park renovation, and there’s still scofflaws letting their dogs run the park off leash.

3 Likes

Time travelling LGBT space aliens. That glow in the dark.

1 Like

And mind-meld with poodles.

1 Like

Sure, let them run their own private dog park. Also require them to register as a business, pay taxes on the land, carry insurance, etc… see how quickly they change their tune.

I’ve run into a lot of problems with misbehaving off-leash dogs, so I can empathize… but If the public is so reprehensible to you that you can’t find a way to cope, then that’s more of a you problem than a public problem.

There’s a public playground on my street and we were running into a lot of problems with littering, adults hanging out and drinking in it, damaged equipment etc… but the solution was ultimately keeping a better eye on it as a neighborhood. We reached out to our local police station and the city, picked up trash more, and generally just spent a little more time using it… and things are much better now. It took time and effort. Tossing a lock on the gate is lazy and just takes your problem and foists it onto everyone else.

5 Likes

Is randomly seizing public land not a crime in the US?

Not if you have lots of money and are white or a model minority.

5 Likes

Yeah that’s basically what I meant by “colonized.” From what I hear, the artists who made the area home were not happy to suddenly have their buildings filling with trust fund kids and bankers.

2 Likes

Like all gentrification it depended on whether they owned or not. Some die-hard Bohemians who bought a loft or building for a pittance in the 70s ended up worth millions. I was there from 86 to 97, and saw most of the actual charm leave the neighborhood. Artists bars were replaced by “Arty” bars.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/evilbmcats

2 Likes

It’s the whole foundation of the US.

2 Likes

Some of those cats seem to have gotten a bit of emo in their black metal(presumably, in context, by the unforgivable quietude of the satanic forgemaster); but they still make a better argument for Twitter’s reprieve from unending oblivion than the overwhelming majority of what it is cluttered with. 12/10; would select for purity of malice.

1 Like

Your insensitivity grievously wounds Larry, Chief Mouser to the Cabinet Office.

He, no doubt, eagerly seeks attribution for every gruesome trophy he leaves somewhere you are likely to inadvertently step before your first cup of coffee.

10 Downing Street, by contrast, made the first admission of a civilian kill some hours earlier today after four years of what we can only assume we are supposed to believe are magic airstrikes that affect only the impure of heart. They would still be somewhere between “you must be mistaken about having tripped over a headless vole this morning” and “are you sure it wasn’t a terrorist vole?”; distinctly un-catlike behavior.

(That’s why I specified 20th-century nation state. It’s not clear they have gotten any less dangerous in the 21st; but they have gotten a lot cagier about it; and no true cat is ashamed of murder.)

3 Likes

Is ‘our pets stay home like they are supposed to’ why my neighbor’s cat sprays my house?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.