NYPD detective who verbally abused Uber driver will be transferred from Joint Terrorism Task Force

Behold the power of video and publicity.

The CCRB usually takes no action even in the case of officers who are chronically and physically abusive. For them to be taking immediate action upon a cop who “was extremely rude” is pretty amazing.

2 Likes

That cop is only 38? No way.

10 Likes

meth is a hell of a drug.

13 Likes

Waaay different union, but a friend of mine is a leader in her teacher’s union. She says her union wants bad teachers fired, but they also want said bad teachers to receive due process as it happens. Seems reasonable.

Maybe I’m just getting sensitive, since unions seem to be getting a bad rap these days. And I’m not even a member.

7 Likes

That cop is only 38? No way.

Could the stress of being angry all the time cause premature aging? I wonder what age he’s going to max out at.

I thought that. It’s been a hell of a 38 years.

2 Likes

Despite it creating an incentive to bad-cop a retirement I believe that in egregious cases one strike should give a retirement with full pay and normal salary increases, this is already in place in some departments for cops who have made a certain number of department justified homicides.

Dirty cop vs Uber driver? That’s like Summer’s Eve vs Massengill.

7 Likes

Never really got that ‘being asked a question only to be told to shut up when you answer’ thing.

For future reference, the only sensible verbal response to a yelled “Do you understand?” would appear to be “No”.

1 Like

Especially considering it is the NYPD. An admission of fault or wrongdoing is the last thing you’d expect from those professional assholes.

Is Courtesy, Professionalism and Respect still the motto of the NYPD? Seems more like Cruel, Profane and Racist to me.

The NYPD doesn’t need CPR, it needs a heart transplant.

4 Likes

See? The system works!

No. . . wait . . . never mind. Scratch that.

Swingline or Boston?

2 Likes

Did I read that right…he’s 38?!? For the love of bacon!!! I’m going to be 42 this year and I look at least 10 years younger than this guy…WTF DID HE DO TO HIMSELF!!!

That may have been an offhand comment, but I think research backs it up: people who are constantly stressed in a negative way (anger, fear, worry) do age faster and have more medical problems.

2 Likes

Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays.

1 Like

Came here to say the same thing. I would have guessed 55.

1 Like

Let’s distinguish between Uber the company and the driver who the company (doesn’t technically) employ; I’ve found most uber drivers to be good, and many of them in NYC are actually TLC licensed as livery car drivers. The whole system of livery driver dispatch is the reason Uber is needed, and I’d much rather see a bunch of independent drivers working through Uber than the current system of dispatchers which has me calling 3 different companies to get a cab, which may or may not be in my area and arrive in time. If Uber followed the law and acted as an ethical business there’d be plenty of market for them, which makes it so sad that they chose the “evil” path.

4 Likes

As mentioned several times above, the guy is only 38. What you see on display is the unfettered privilege of one who believes, to his core, that he is above the law.

1 Like