NYPD officials threaten discipline and consequences if officers don't wear masks

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/07/nypd-officials-threaten-discipline-and-consequences-if-officers-dont-wear-masks.html

Now watch the PBA (NYPD police union) jump in to object.

5 Likes

Well, we all know NYPD doesn’t enforce “consequences and discipline” for straight murder; why would anyone think they’ll do something about this? Also, how is any cop who “has a breathing condition” that keeps them from wearing a mask considered physically fit to be on the streets in the first place?

16 Likes

Some of them will happily wear a mask, I’m sure. NYPD being what it is, I wouldn’t be surprised if these were issued.

3 Likes

or if the officers have a “breathing condition.”

Uh… if you have a breathing condition that prevents one from wearing a mask, and they are a cop on the street, they probably aren’t physically fit enough for police work.

An older detective with a desk job wouldn’t have the same physical requirements. Maybe that is who that exception is targeted at.

2 Likes

Can we make masks with built-in cameras? Two birds, one stone.

1 Like

A big part of the reason police in NYC are perceived to be a holes is because they actually work at it. If you take a look at any precinct in NYC, but especially in the areas outside of concentrated wealth, you will see cars parked all over the place. On sidewalks, in medians, in bike lanes, in city parks. It’s nuts. And I’m talking about their personal vehicles, not their squad cars. It’s hard to come up with a bigger statement of “I don’t care about this place” than to park your personal car on a sidewalk just so that you have the shortest possible exposure to world between the bubble of the car and the bubble of the precinct.

The masks are the same thing. They are not wearing them on purpose to say “we are not one of you”.

4 Likes

Discipline? For police? In a world where the worst punishment an officer can endure is to be retired with 100% pension?
There may be a day where a police officer is actually disciplined for an offense, but this is not that offense, and today is not that day.

2 Likes

Why do they need special “discipline and consequences” when NYC already has fines in place? I hate that people feel that police need special rules and can ignore the ones the rest of us follow.

1 Like

The NYT story is from October 4.

This one is from October 6:

4 Likes

Uh… if you have a breathing condition that prevents one from wearing a mask, and they are a cop on the street, they probably aren’t physically fit enough for police work.

You’ve never seen a NYC cop, have you?

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.