Civil rights complaint: cop ordered black shoppers to remove coronavirus masks

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/08/civil-rights-complaint-cop-or.html

12 Likes

Saw this one coming. As soon as I heard that the CDC was considering the recommendation I said “America is too racist for everyone to wear a mask.” Thankfully no one has been shot yet.

46 Likes

Agreed. Before this, businesses like banks in my area put up signs on the front door that hats, scarves, and dark glasses could not be worn inside. Part of me wondered if this was for facial recognition systems, but I started using the drive-through, where customers can wear whatever they want. During the winter, I’m always wearing a hat, scarf, and dark glasses.

17 Likes

To be fair, under normal circumstances it can be unnerving to see anyone with their face covered. If I was working at a bank or a liquor store or any sizable cash business I would prefer that everyone not wear masks unless necessary. But we are not living in normal circumstances and it’s considered necessary.

17 Likes

True. Historically, that privilege has been reserved only for certain “very fine people”.

41 Likes

friendly reminder that ACAB

6 Likes
26 Likes

FFS. 

5 Likes

Actually, it is against the law in many Southern states to wear a face concealing mask precisely because of those “very fine people”.

8 Likes

Obeying CDC Guidelines While Black

14 Likes

I’m guessing these will only be enforced against particular people…

11 Likes

Well, how about they make it legal for PoC to wear masks during that pandemic, since they are both more seriously affected by Covid19, and they are very unlikely to affiliated with those very fine people? Problem solved.

2 Likes

Beside the point I know but gosh he was touching the outside of his mask a lot, kind of eliminating the health benefit of wearing it.

I’m sure I’d have done no better - being harassed by a cop is very stressful, things like remembering not to touch one’s mask quite understandably go out the window.

1 Like

If you’re talking to a cop, coronavirus is not the most dangerous thing you have to worry about.

13 Likes

Of the two immediate existential threats, the cop is the one that is likely to be more deadly.

22 Likes

Didn’t see this coming. Nope, not at all.

7 Likes

@beschizza :

then ordered them to leave the store

you sure bout that, rob? from the article:

”The officer tried to identify the two individuals, but they refused to give the officer their identity and indicated they were leaving the store,” Wells said. “The officer did not escalate the situation and did not pursue their identity any further. The two individuals left the store of their own volition. They were not ordered to leave the store.”

1 Like

Chief of Police says they weren’t ordered to leave, they say they were.

I mean, from the video it doesn’t look like they’re particularly happy about it, esp. with PC Plod stalking them like that.

Maybe this was a case of “you can leave voluntarily, or you can leave involuntarily”.

15 Likes

Indeed. A choice between potentiality lethal police harassment and leaving the store is no choice at all. The threat the cop presented is tantamount to an order to leave if the cop will let you.

16 Likes

in the video? didnt saw it, but the article states, one of the guys said:

Best said they followed the officer’s order to take off the masks and left the store rather than show identification

that is not the same as “ordered to leave”.

and to be clear; of course this was racist profiling. but making statements and phrasing them as facts when their actually not happend as described by those statements is just contraproductive and makes oneself vulnerable against the usual racist suspects. all im saying.