NYPD posts "All Colors Are Beautiful" to celebrate Pride month, and the acronym does not go unnoticed

Originally published at: NYPD posts "All Colors Are Beautiful" to celebrate Pride month, and the acronym does not go unnoticed | Boing Boing

8 Likes

It is quite clever to get them to put ACAB on their cars, and the junction of pride with police will throw the conservative numpty class into another angry tizzy. Hand me the popcorn.

15 Likes

I honestly didn’t know that ACAB also stands for “All Cops Are Bastards” (ACAB - Wikipedia). As far as I can tell, this could have been a coincidence.

9 Likes

It could be, but given Pride’s origins and how very widespread that slogan is, I wouldn’t consider it likely.

20 Likes

Yeah, the most surprising thing to me is that no one on the NYPD noticed it! They definitely are familiar with that acronym.
This is some delicious creative protest, not a coincidence.

23 Likes

Sure Jan GIF

10 Likes

10 Likes

Also… dude has beautiful eyes!

9 Likes

If you didn’t even know about it you’re probably not in the best place to judge the likelihood. Why not just be happy you learned something?

17 Likes

Had to google it, new one on me also.

5 Likes

They’re taking it back?

1 Like

Or it could be the NYPD’s attempt to dilute the acronym, to try to weaken its original meaning in the context of the police department.

12 Likes

Then they are very late. There was ACAB grafitti being put in cop cars by workers in car factories over 60 years ago.

13 Likes

I was not familiar with the acronym or sentiment until seeing it on this forum and the internet during the George Floyd protests. I had to google it.

I also disagree with it.

7 Likes
5 Likes

You don’t believe in the thin blue line, or you don’t believe that enabling crooked cops is itself crooked?

12 Likes

Why might people believe ACAB?

But they are just my personal reasons, I’m sure other people have their own views to add.

18 Likes

I agree that many cops or some cops or a lot of cops are bastards.

I do not agree that all cops are bastards.

5 Likes

Systemic problems make everyone complicit. There are initially good cops…but the thin blue line means they either get pushed out when they try to respond to the bad ones, or they don’t and in so doing enable them. The point is that bad apples spoil the barrel, as the saying goes.

20 Likes

Good cops become bad cops or they stop being cops.

On 31 July 1997, the home secretary, Jack Straw, ordered a public inquiry, to be conducted by Sir William Macpherson and officially titled “The Inquiry Into The Matters Arising From The Death of Stephen Lawrence”, and published as The Macpherson report.[73] Its report, produced in February 1999, estimated that it had taken “more than 100,000 pages of reports, statements, and other written or printed documents”[73] and concluded that the original Metropolitan Police Service investigation had been incompetent and that officers had committed fundamental errors, including: failing to give first aid when they reached the scene; failing to follow obvious leads during their investigation; and failing to arrest suspects. The report found that there had been a failure of leadership by senior MPS officers and that recommendations of the 1981 Scarman Report, compiled following race-related riots in Brixton and Toxteth, had been ignored.[6]

Detective Superintendent Brian Weeden said during the inquiry that mistakes had been made in the murder investigation, including his own ignorance that he could have arrested the suspects four days after the killing simply on reasonable suspicion, a basic point of criminal law.[36][37]

The report also found that the Metropolitan Police was institutionally racist. A total of 70 recommendations for reform, covering both policing and criminal law, were made. These proposals included abolishing the double jeopardy rule and criminalising racist statements made in private. Macpherson also called for reform in the British Civil Service, local governments, the National Health Service, schools, and the judicial system, to address issues of institutional racism.[74]

18 Likes