NYPD says Shake Shack did not intentionally give poisoned milkshakes to cops

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/16/nypd-says-shake-shack-did-not.html

8 Likes

It was bleach. That cures COVID-19. Someone was doing the cops a solid. /s

35 Likes

No matter what, the cultists will never believe it.

7 Likes

Sorry, what happened? I stopped listening.

27 Likes

How much of the milk shake did the cops drink before realizing it tastes like bleach? I’m not sure the cops really want to be promoting that stereotype. (Moose Turd Pie by Utah Phillips at the link) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zb1qsVqjwg

8 Likes

They are already on to the next hundred manufactured outrages. The two minutes of hate has to be refreshed every two minutes.

13 Likes

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Hanlon’s Razor strikes again!

13 Likes

Fast food milkshake machines are just nasty.

7 Likes

After investigating, the New York Police Department found that the milkshakes were not intentionally spiked with detergent, but that the milkshake machine was not properly drained of cleaning solution before the milkshake mixture was added to it.

(then)

Police Benevolent Association president Patrick Lynch… added: “When New York City police officers cannot even take meal without coming under attack, it is clear that environment in which we work has deteriorated to a critical level. We cannot afford to let our guard down for even a moment.”

(Did I miss something? No. PBA Gang Leader Lynch did.)

21 Likes

How many other people got shakes from that outlet that were contaminated and had to see a doctor because of it?
There’s a reason they’re called ‘accidents’… not everything bad is malevolent.

19 Likes

This really should be considered a story about police disinformation, and how newspapers blindly repeat whatever cops say. How about questioning whether anyone else was sickened or whether any treatment was required, or did some cops just freak out for no reason and then make up a story about a cleaning agent because its too embarrassing to admit paranoid public statements like this were released because someone’s milkshake tasted a little funny.

from the Detectives union about the milkshake “incident”:

Police in New York City and across the country are under attack by vicious criminals who dislike us simply because of the uniform we wear. Emboldened by pandering elected officials, these cowards will go to great lengths to harm any member of law enforcement.

We MUST be more vigilant than ever. We urge you to not buy food from locations unknown to you. Keep your eyes open and be alert at all times. Make sure you always stay with your partner — and back one another up. Inspect your vehicle — personal and department — before you drive.

25 Likes

One would hope that the press would learn to be a little more skeptical considering how many times in the past couple of weeks the police lied about physically attacking members of the press.

24 Likes

“The defect is bleach.”

6 Likes

Considering that the follow up stories don’t question whether there was actually any cleaning agent in the milkshake I would say they aren’t learning

13 Likes

I bet this wouldn’t happen at In n Out :thinking:

1 Like

My thought exactly. It could be trace amounts lower than your average glass of tap water. But as long as it’s there, they’ll claim that they weren’t lying and leaping to conspiracy theories.

7 Likes

Oh, how terrible for you. :roll_eyes: It’s only been three weeks.

13 Likes

There’s a valuable learning moment that went begging here. By changing one phrase and one word Lynch could have perfectly encapsulated the rage behind BLM. Introspection clearly isn’t his thing.

(Also: “Lynch”? Nominative determinism ftw.)

8 Likes

So presumably people other than cops also got sick?

11 Likes

By spreading this rumor, Police Benevolent Association president Patrick Lynch is putting that Shake Shack and those who work there in great danger. If it’s not some cops looking for payback, it’ll be some freelance gunhumping MAGAhat. Welcome to the new Pizzagate.

22 Likes