NYPD wants to make "resisting arrest" into a felony

My favourite part of the article:

…were I present I would have suggested doing away with the charge altogether based on this statement.

2 Likes

Yay! Thanks!

5 Likes

9 Likes

It makes me sad when they get thrown down the memory hole though, I like the cautionary bans until 2289.

8 Likes

There is a lot more sadness in the world than that. Focus on that, maybe it will bring your comfort. Or make you feel worse. I don’t know, I don’t get human emotions.

15 Likes

In regards to breaking laws, I strive to break at least one ticketable offense a day, misdemeanor a week, and a felony a month.

I hear the ladies like us bad boys (damnit japhroaig, Jay walking doesn’t make you a bad boy!)

7 Likes

What about Jay dancing?

10 Likes

Given how many rights and privileges this would remove from a person, I can’t possibly see how a law like this could be abused.

1 Like

I have absolutely no problem with this as long as there’s one caveat to passage of this law:

A rider gets attached that makes any violation of rights under the color of law (i.e. trumping up false evidence, false arrest, etc…) a capital crime.

5 Likes

I thought riders were where you attached all the crap you want to shovel into law that has nothing to do with the initial law to being with. Like requiring a photo ID for allergy medicine attached to the Patriot Act, because “meth”.

1 Like

Seriously trolling?

1 Like

it wasn’t doing too good a job. all the good trolls got ate by @falcor long ago and that scared off all the clueful ones. now all we get is sad stuff like the fred twins.

4 Likes

I think he wasn’t really a troll, or at least not intentionally. Looked to me more like a combination of naivety, indoctrination, and some sort of emotional investment (possibly as a result of said indoctrination) in the just-world hypothesis.

8 Likes

well he apparently wasn’t going to be swayed by evidence.

1 Like

Seems to me the way to make it fair is for “wrongful arrest” to also be considered a felony, resulting in loss of badge and job and benefits. We can have a good ol’ time clogging up the courts debating who-did-what-to-who-now.

1 Like

PHEW, GOOD! I’m glad they are finally downgrading it from a capital offense.
This should make non-caucasians safer. \s

exactly this, well said!

13 Likes

“I feared for my life.”

2 Likes

Oftentimes one party in these disagreements is dead long before the courts are involved.

If police fear the testimony of their suspects, I can’t imagine deaths in custody will decline…

2 Likes

OK, this is some fascist bullshit of the first order.

5 Likes

Catchy. the NYPD should use it when they rebrand.

1 Like