NYT publishes damning, deep look at Trump's commercial/presidential conflicts of interests, so Trump tweets crazy fake-vote conspiracy

Once they are sure that the Clinton Machine is no longer a threat, I expect the republicans to turn on Trump. I am still hoping for the best, (for us) but a realist probably has to believe that Trump is too vulgar and self-interested to actually dedicate himself to the service of the nation. Or that if he tries, he will go back to his old ways. I have to say that he has some things in common with Duterte, except that Duterte has strong religious views which steer his actions.
But the business conflicts don’t bother me all that much. It is certainly less than the endless tentacles of the Clinton Machine, where Clinton donors go in to a place like Columbia with Bill, play some golf, and make promises to the citizens. Then, when they leave, Frank Giustra, Clinton’s donor/partner, has acquired lots of strategic land, and most of the petroleum rights to the country. After a while, they realize that the promises of small business assistance runs out, and that with their natural resources now owned by Clinton Cronies.

[citation-needed]

The CA Secretary of State doesn’t seem impressed with Trump.

26 Likes

So you’re concerned about the $100 million donations of Giustra to a charitable foundation with regular auditing because he works separate private deals with other nations instead of the Trump fortune spending well over that number directly invested in foreign nations?

Even if was true that “Clinton cronies make bank on a scam charity” how is that better than “POTUS personally profits on nine-figure foreign investments”?

26 Likes

In my fantasy version of the future, Trump ends up using the conflicts of interest issue as a way to resign the presidency and still save face. He will say, “I won the election, but it wasn’t constitutional for me to be president so I had to step down. I’m doing this to spare the country the long legal fight over the constitution.”

I go back and forth between that version, which puts an unscathed Pence in charge with a fully compliant congress but no immediate disasters and the other version in which Trump stays in office with a constant series of fuckups and scandals that have a real human cost but that eventually leads to not just his impeachment, but jail and in the process bifurcates the republican party into the ideologues and the neonazis, neither of which have enough of a base to be a threat.

24 Likes

Yeah, it’s easy to make (false) correlations between news that’s damaging for tRump coming out and him sending out crazy tweets when there’s always damaging information coming out about him and he’s always saying things that are totally batshit.

20 Likes

America died on 9/11. Trump is the death stench manifesting itself.

2 Likes

even as a consensus is emerging among constitutional scholars that the exotic emoluments clause will require Trump to sell off much of his business empire

And exactly who is going to force him to do that? The GOP congress? The newly conservative Supreme Court?

5 Likes

Seeing quite a few mentions of Federalist paper #68 on twitter…

http://www.constitution.org/fed/federa68.htm

2 Likes

I think that’s the crux right there. What happens if Trump simply refuses? Who is going to arrest him?

Sure, there could be an impeachment vote, but what’s the chance of the Republicans signing on to impeach a Republican president for anything less than shooting small children on national TV?

I’m certain many Republican senators/congressmen are cursing Trump and are dismayed at his actions, but impeach him? Not happening.

After all, the Democrats are going to be trying to tar every Republican with the Trump brush in four years, and Republicans who “do the right thing” will simply find their own actions used as proof that not only must Trump go, they to must follow.

2 Likes

I don’t take any pleasure in saying this (and I’m not the first to notice), but Trump-owned hotels are very soft and extremely inviting targets for terrorists. They’ll hold week-long strategy sessions about how to make sure that the explosion happens in such a way that the big gold letters fall, camera-ready, on top of the rest of the rubble, rather than being blown up.

And while I can just barely believe that he’s semi-pretending to be outraged by Hamilton for political judo purposes, let’s not kid ourselves. The first drop of blood spilled in one of his lobbies is going to make him go nuclear (quite possibly literally) because of the personal insult. That “bait with a Tweet” line from the debates is going to haunt us.

7 Likes

H. Ronald Rump is not a secret populist.

If only facts changed the way that people vote…

7 Likes

I think it’s Chris Christie.

2 Likes

You don’t understand. Max is just an Independent-Minded Citizen who’s Risen Above Party Politics and is Just Asking Questions to warn us that Clinton is just as bad as if not worse than Trump.

I don’t know about anyone else, but after reading the comment you’re responding to I’m done entertaining his false equivalencies and BS here. Fun is fun and I’ve had mine, but ultimately it’s a waste of time debating an intellectually dishonest person who’s clearly not interested in good-faith arguments.

19 Likes

There are going to be terrorist attacks during Trump’s reign, and he is going to use them as an excuse to ramp up the police state.

12 Likes

Well, yeah, which is why people who want to harm the United States do things like that in the first place. You want to do everything you can to keep that loose cannon firing blindly through its own hull.

8 Likes

Thank you. Going beyond the articles, there are countless stories going back to the 1980s about this bullying narcissistic grifter. The business community in NYC, from multi-millionaire banking executives through magazine editors right down to the blue collar guys who got stiffed on their construction contracts, understands exactly what kind of “businessman” he is.

I’ll disagree slightly in that the articles you mention were indeed given attention by serious people. It was his marks who never paid attention, and I’m not expecting them to wise up anytime soon. Some people are born suckers.

11 Likes

I don’t understand the jubilation over the possible impeachment of Trump. It just gets us Mike Pence, an arch Neocon who would never be elected president on his own merits.

12 Likes

It’s elephants all the way down.

11 Likes

I know, right?

It’s like the current best case scenario is that Trump somehow bumbles through the next four years and pisses off everyone enough to lose the next election, but doesn’t destroy America or the world through one of the numerous vectors for that outcome.

So… fingers crossed… I think?

10 Likes