NYT: Saudi Arabia's Prince Charming was Mister Bone Saw all along

Yeah. They have been blindsided by the amount of blowback killing him has caused. So now it’s "What if we only meant to torture him, would that be okay? Okay, how about the crown prince knew NOTHING? No? Will you Westerners never be satisfied? " I suspect that MBS will be de-emphasized and have a far less public role until this blows over, which might take a decade. And by that time somebody else might have clawed their way to the top of the pile of oil-soaked skulls that the Saudi throne is built on top of.

4 Likes

I’ve heard that it was the consul who said that, for obvious reasons. This doctor, who apparently never heard of the Hippocratic oath, helpfully advised those cutting up the body to listen to music on headphones while they did so.

1 Like

Why attribute this murder to incompetence when malice will suffice.

I suspect the Saudi’s know their consulate is bugged. The over-sized party of trained killers they sent was purposely ostentatious. I’m left with the conclusion that this murder was committed to send a chill through all journalists everywhere. As they surely knew all the horrible, gory details would eventually be released.

12 Likes

And I am sure they figured with Trump being bought and paid for, they would not have to worry about a US response. Maybe possibly Congress will step up and prove them wrong? Slim hope, but these days slim hopes are pretty much the only ones we have.

2 Likes

To be fair, his murder would have gotten ignored also if he’d not been writing for the WaPo, I suspect.

Fuck the world indeed.

7 Likes

Well some major, European Language news source might have been almost as good as the WaPo. The New York Times, Der Spiegel or Le Monde might work. But if he was only publishing in Arabic he would have been a page 7 story and the rest of the world would have yawned. Ironically, it seems to be the fact that his work was also published in Arabic that put in a giant target on his back.

What with all the convoluted, connected negative things happening around the world its getting harder to care about stuff further afield; a paranoid person might suspect that the powers-that-be count on our fatigued apathy…

7 Likes

U.S. permanent residents, paranoid or not, also suspect that. It’s not paranoia if they really are out to get us.

10 Likes

I’m saying if he ONLY published in Arabic, no one in the US would care.

8 Likes

With regards to Yemen… none of this is new, and much of this can be laid right at the feet of the US:

7 Likes

Yep. Publishing in Arabic might be what got him killed, but publishing in English is why the West cares that he was killed.

2 Likes

It will play out like Kim Jong un, who has done much more then having someone have an accident with a bone saw. I want MBS to earn his karma but he won’t. He’s gonna skate scot-free. Probably get his hundred million in offensive hardware as well.

Vote. That’s all we can do, and hopefully that will help.

I thought that’s precisely what I said… specifically working for WaPo has made this a story here in the states.

3 Likes

Tying up loose ends?

7 Likes

There is a tendency for despots drunk on their own power, and with no checks or balances to their ego, to over-reach. MBS has clearly done just that. It will be interesting to see what transpires? Will the King replace him, since he is now extremely tarnished goods? Can the King replace him (kings can be cut up with bonesaws too). Essentially this is Game of Throne in real life.

6 Likes

Looks like the Sauds have settled on a fall guy. Not that I feel sorry for him.

3 Likes

Does that make climate change the real life ‘White Walkers,’ then?

(Damn this timeline is so stupid, there really are no words sufficient enough…)

7 Likes

The Wet Walkers…

2 Likes

That joke would have worked far better over in this thread.

2 Likes

Oh my lord, I should not have clicked through on that!!

3 Likes