Oakland's past-curfew protest turns into a massive dance party

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/05/oaklands-past-curfew-protest.html

8 Likes

A revolution without dancing is not a revolution worth having.

Having attended several protests and having felt so much anger and frustration over the past few days, it’s nice to see protests where everyone is having some fun.

22 Likes

Just watch out for those dance tents.

11 Likes

But why Cha-cha slide? Someone came prepared with cha-cha slide?

ETA: my wife has informed me this is actually “Cupid shuffle”. I feel no shame in getting this wrong.

19 Likes

Was Oakland still under curfew last night? Alameda County and several East Bay cities dropped their curfews according to a notifications I received that afternoon. Did Oakland retain their curfew?

3 Likes

See the Wachowskis were right, post-apocalyptic worlds -will- have dance parties.

(imagine the one November 4th, well until we learn he’s not leaving)

11 Likes

the guy in the white t-shirt was FEELING IT, and he was great at it. i’m so jealous. i can not do this dance, or really any group thing. i’ve tried, i just suck. my wish is for every peaceful protest to evolve into dance parties like this.

10 Likes

Town :brown_heart:… I miss my East Bay peeps.

6 Likes

The song teaches the dance :slight_smile:

Just watch the man who wrote it do the thing https://youtu.be/VHayYMdDUJY

RIP Mac Dre…look how much your music means to the Bay

7 Likes

“If I can’t dance, I don’t want to be a part of your revolution.”

Imagine all those people, out for a protest, and their lives turned into a musical - everybody breaks into dance around them. What a joy. :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Every single thing about this makes me happy. :smiley:

6 Likes

San Francisco too. My family cut our walk short last night to be back home before 8 only to learn the curfew had been rescinded a few hours before.

2 Likes

the thing is, i don’t know the words!
that would definitely help. well, it would certainly help. i can’t promise it definitely would.

1 Like

Oakland was indeed not under curfew last night (i.e., Thursday night). This video is from Wednesday night.

2 Likes

Old fogeys will remember the Motown hit “Dancing in the Streets” but not all will remember that it was a call to political action.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.