Obama to schools: let transgender kids use the bathroom matching their gender

My worry is that the mechanism might get stuck, if, say, the “key” decides to swell for some reason.

1 Like

I had heard there was a conservative think tank that was fronting a lot of this because the whole same sex marriage thing getting passed. A way to “energize” their base. I think a part of their tactics is to point of what they consider morally dangerous things, and get votes that way. I think the group that Kim Davis’ lawyer belongs to was in on it, and passed around talking points, and info on the threat that is trans folks needing to pee.

7 Likes

I wish people would realize that everyone is nonbinary to some degree, in gender and in so many other ways. Our black and white categorizations of things that inherently are not really bothers me. It simplifies things for most of us, but leaves out people more towards the middle of the spectrum.

2 Likes

Really?

Come on, grandpa.

13 Likes

Silly, they don’t exist of course! They are a nefarious plot by the justice department to further endanger good, white, christian families! Duh! /s

But seriously, how hard is it to see who the real threat is to here - it’s not the cisgendered, that’s for sure.

4 Likes

Where I went to high school there were no doors on the stalls at all, and the walls were very short. You couldn’t see the person next to you if you were sitting, but that’s about it. It was weird.

2 Likes

I find it scary that a matter this controversial can be decided by a dictate from the Executive branch. Sure, most folks who read BB think this policy is a good idea but whether or not it is a good idea is not my point. Such a decision should only be arrived at through a democratic process.

It’s controversial in the same way evolution is controversial - not at all once you have looked at the evidence. Christine Jorgensen transitioned and had GRS over 65 years ago. If rapists were going to abuse trans friendly bathroom policies we would know by now.

I can only agree with you in the sense that in a sane world this would never have got as far as the Executive. Sadly we live in a world where one groups paranoid delusions can affect how another group can do their necessary bodily functions.

17 Likes

Obamachair?

1 Like

Your cis privilege is certainly showing here.

7 Likes

It was arrived at through a democratic process. A majority of the people in this country elected Barrack Obama President in 2008, and a majority liked him well enough to reelect him 4 years later. The executive branch has this power for a reason. Every President has used it. One of them even used this power to emancipate the slaves.

17 Likes

This question deserves to be it’s own thread.

I hope you go to the bbs mainpage and create it. Great Question!

2 Likes

This is spherically stupid. I mean it’s stupid any way you look at it.

2 Likes

People denying access to bathrooms for certain people and the situation getting so bad that the president has to get involved to allow access? I can’t disagree with that. Western Europe has managed to not ban access, why can’t the US?

6 Likes

If you only have two bathrooms, make them just “bathrooms”.
if you have stalled bathrooms, have a “family restroom”. It can be used for any purpose and there’s no fight.

2 Likes

You mean the executive branches ability to interpret laws like the civil rights bill? That “dictate”? The justice department is well within their rights to do this, actually, constitutionally speaking. They are interpreting law that was passed years ago, not dictating.

17 Likes

The last time I suggested here that individuals could choose to identify as members of a particular ethnic group, the response was a bit short of overwhelming affirmation.

2 Likes

What a crazy, revolutionary, ultra-wacky-liberal idea: let men use men’s rooms and women use womens’ bathrooms!! THANKS OBAMA!!

2 Likes

I wonder why not? I’m a mix of 8 northern European nationalities (I know only because my dad got into genealogy as a retirement hobby) but all are considered one ethnic group. I identify with that of my last name, mostly as a conversation piece (as I’m doing now). I have a few clan shirts (available as it’s a common name), also for fun. But I’m lucky in being white in the alas all too un-inclusive US. I wish everyone could feel free to express their identity in all the ways that are important to them, to ignore ones they don’t care about, and to not be discriminated against for any of 'em.

My dad did genealogy for the intellectual exercise, and to correspond with distant relatives across the country. He found it fun to get certificates from groups like “The Sons of Custer’s Last Stand” or whatever. Fun, but ultimately not too useful (except for medical reasons). Sort of like getting BB Badges . . . .

2 Likes

Thanks for bringing that up. I had that (awful) experience too, in junior high school. For someone with colitis it was simply awful. Especially with ignorant shitheads around whose idea of a good time was to make fun of anyone using a toilet. As if they never did it themselves. Should have gotten permission to use a teacher’s restroom, but it was years ago when such medical problems were Not Talked About. /grumble

3 Likes