Obama, voting, primaries, and other dead horses

I think Hillary would have been very ‘more of the same’ so not Terrible per se just corrupt and pandering to the corporations she either has hold over (she is an ex walmart board member after all) or those she owes favors to. My problem is the primaries. Time and again I saw her getting privilaged treatment and more or less walked a gilded path while any contenders (not just bernie) were having to deal with roadblocks and slammed doors.

It soured me on her to the point I voted for neither. I put a write in for Giant Meteor.

And now I keep seeing a lot of ‘YOU GOT US IN THIS MESS YOU SHOULD HAVE TOED OUR LINE.’ No. I refuse to, because that sheepish attitude is what the corrupt rely and depend on to mantain power. It also keeps us divided rather than focusing on fixing the proble mthat got us here in the first place.

One party has lost it’s gorrem mind.
The other is corrupt and rotted to the core.

I leave it to you to decide which is which. Either way both parties need to be cleared out. ll the grye faced old career politicians, the lobbiests. All of it needs to be cleared.

I just haven’t the damndest idea how without violence, and even if violence were on the table I’m not sure we would be able to do it before the nation sank into a bloody civil war… or, y’know, we blow ourselves to hell in the process.

Only idea I have is to think locally. Look at the patch of ground your meatsack self is on, and try finding ways to improve it. Pick a party that ligns up with what you want and help them be they Dem, Repub, Green, Communist, Pirate, Anarchist. Just… go be more active at home. That is where the most good can be done and frankly where any of us can do any good at all.

2 Likes

But it wasn’t just the Democrats who suffered a loss here, not even primarily. They will be just fine. They do just have to ride the bus back to their high school thinking about how they could’ve run the ball differently on the 4th down. It’s all of us who truly suffer in real life for this. You suffer for this, people you care about suffer for this.

I personally suspect that a huge proportion of people doubling down on not voting for Hillary truly did not think Trump had even a chance of winning, as many actual Trump voters believed when they cast their particular flavor of “protest vote.” It’s hard to admit you (not you you, y’all you) didn’t see it coming, and these continued protestations feel more like covering that hole with ideologically pure bravado. I have to say it’s not ringing true for me.

1 Like

Poor horse. I bet he voted for Gary Watsisname.

2 Likes

The points of the Chicago star don’t turn into cat ears as naturally as the points of the maple leaf, so I’m not as happy with this, but, as requested:

2 Likes

Any guesses about who came up with this winning name?

link

7 Likes

:headdesk:

4 Likes

Link is boinged, but that’s pretty hilarious. They really do make up names for all the bills on Opposite Day, don’t they? Just waiting for the Welcome Muslims and Mexicans Act of 2017.

7 Likes

I was just about to post the same thing. What in tha…

3 Likes
5 Likes

It’s as if life decided to flip the script and turn itself into satire of a very mundane Onion article.

1 Like

To be fair, they didn’t say it was greater than the Healthcare Plan of 2010, or the British Healthcare Plan of 1944.

Or any other healthcare plan not from 2017.

3 Likes

As long as the paperwork is filed properly, which isn’t always easy. It might be different now, but in the early 70s there were specific requirements about the number years the parent lived in the US versus abroad (so many years before the age of 14, so may years after the age of 14), and a letter from a lawyer basically confirming that they know the information to be true.

I don’t know how easy it would be to pass along that citizenship later, but it was not that easy for my mom to pass it to me before I was born. In fact, it almost wasn’t possible. If she had been one year younger, she would not have met the requirements for years lived inside the US.

Then they should properly name it The “World’s Greatest Healthcare Plan of 2017-So-Far.”

2 Likes

You are the BEST!!!

Thank you!

2 Likes

You’re quite welcome. I’m glad you like it.

1 Like
  • The reason Clinton won the nomination is because Bernie didn’t get enough votes in the primaries.
  • The reason Trump won the election is because Clinton didn’t get enough votes in the general election.

You can blame the former on voter apathy or the Party machine, but you share the responsibility for the latter. Your vote for “Giant Meteor” sent the message “I see no meaningful difference between these two candidates.” Best just come to terms with that.

1 Like

As long as we’re beating dead horses…

I voted for Bernie in the New Hampshire primaries. He won by an unbelievable landslide- a more than 50% margin. In some districts, he more than doubled her vote. I watched the results roll in that night, feeling really optimistic about our future.

The next morning, I woke to the official results: Clinton was declared the winner with 15 votes to his 14.

He later picked up a couple from uncommitted delegates, but he still LOST the delegate vote despite having record setting crowds, superior poll numbers, and beating her consistently in states that actually mattered. Again- My candidate won by FUCKING FIFTY SOME ODD PERCENT and it was declared a tie. Just where in the fuck was the “popular vote” crowd then?

Every time I hear a Clinton supporter bring up the popular vote, I want to smash their goddamned teeth in.

1 Like

Are you claiming a majority of Democratic primary voters supported Sanders? Because as much as I wanted that to happen, all evidence I’ve seen says Clinton won 55 percent of the primary vote compared to Sanders’ 43 percent.

He might have had more popular support overall, but not among people who actually turned out when it fucking mattered.

1 Like

My vote didn’t count, so what I think really doesn’t matter, apparently.

He’s apparently responding to the pretty blatant about-face that occurred re: Ted Cruz’s candidacy. From Tribe’s article in the Boston Globe, which the “Constitutioncenter.org” site was, er, citing:

2 Likes