Obama's policy on Bush's crimes is how Kavanaugh got to the Supreme Court

Did anyone know that President Ford’s pardon would reverberate at the time ?

2 Likes

Cool. Let’s normalize that losing power will result in you going to jail. Let’s normalize that you can’t transition power peacefully. Because that won’t have any negative effects!

2 Likes

Eoin Higgins, 2016:

He deleted this post on Medium, I wonder why? Maybe so he could then write articles for The Intecept, blaming the logical conclusion of his own limp protest voting on the very people who were begging and pleading for us to take that election seriously? This is important, because it happens time after time: self-styled radicals make edgy plays to expand the Overton Window, based on their own cack-handed handicapping of the presidential race. Then, when things reach their logical conclusion, they spend four years stretching and reaching for these stories to explain everything, when all we needed was basic numeracy. It happened in 2000, it happened on 2016, and it’ll probably happen after the next Democratic president because heaven forbid some white guy not feel like they’re the center of the universe for five minutes.

3 Likes

also he was a black guy, so maybe he thought, damn if I do the right thing and throw all these white guys in jail a bunch of racists are gonne freak out and drag the country to hell. Jokes on him, they did it anyway just cause he got elected and double-termed.

10 Likes

In what world do you live?

In my world Obama was a lame duck after his second year in office, Congressional and state Democrats have been decimated in every following election, and the result of Obama’s wise, popularity preserving impotence has been a fascist takeover of the United States, two fascist Supreme Court justices (one was taken from him while he whimpered quietly), and a completely demoralized and leaderless majority.

8 Likes

Good luck with that. I can’t see much discussion being prompted by a comment that’s larded with (by my count) 15 questions.

4 Likes

You’re right. Instead we should normalize the idea that once you get into power you can commit any crime you want and know that there will never be any consequences.

14 Likes

Oh wow. How come I’m not surprised?

Sometimes it really does seem like the lefties hate the Democrats far more than they do hate the Republicans.

1 Like

Fair enough.

3 Likes

That’s one way to put it. Alternatively:

“Let’s normalize that committing crimes while in power will result in you going to jail.”

Or do you prefer 'Let’s normalize that crimes committed while in power are by definition unpunishable". Because that won’t have any negative effects!

12 Likes

Can you really blame them, when the party that’s supposed to be in resistance to the obviously more murderous and rapacious party usually functions more like enablers, that is, when they’re not being murderous and rapacious themselves?

11 Likes

We feel betrayed by the party leadership, while the Republicans are as shit as we expected. Think how much more angry you would feel if a close relative stole from you, compared to an unknown burglar.

11 Likes

2 Likes

recently spotted this:

The author makes an interesting point, though-- the immunity from prosecution that consuls enjoyed only extended through their term of office-- and consuls could not hold such offices consecutively.

In 59 BCE, Caesar was first elected consul. Caesar and his opponents used bribery extensively to buy votes during the election.
In order to pass legislation, Caesar also violently intimidated his conservative co-Consul Bibulus to the point where he holed up in his house for the year.
At the end of his term, Caesar arranged to be appointed proconsul, or governor, of Gaul for five years, the result of a secret alliance with Marcus Crassus, a wealthy aristocrat, and Pompey, a powerful military commander. This extended his immunity and allowed him to avoid pending prosecution.
The First Triumvirate – as these three were called – later extended Caesar’s proconsulship by another five years
By 50 B.C., having held office for 10 years, Caesar’s alliance had fallen apart and he lacked the allies in Rome to secure a further renewal of his term. When his term was set to end, he feared prosecution for what he had done during his consulship
The next year, Caesar led an army across the Rubicon in a bid to hold on to his office, beginning a civil war that would lead to the fall of the Republic.
All because he was afraid of losing his immunity.

Of course, the writers of the US constitution would have known this.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Well, since those assumptions had already been defenestrated, maybe he shouldn’t have pretended they were still in the room.

At any rate, it all worked out well for Obama and his family, as they ride his post-presidency to comfort, wealth and blinkered esteem.

7 Likes

If I read a lot of the replies here correctly, neither Bush not Trump actually committed any crimes, and any accusations we are hearing about now are just political noise? Because that’s what I hear when people write “Let’s normalize that losing power will result in you going to jail”

3 Likes

Oh, he’s got more hot takes that he didn’t delete

2 Likes

Oh yes, he’s definitely the kind of a wise person whose well-thought-out opinions on Democrats we should take as gospel. :roll_eyes:

God, what a whiny special snowflake, poisoned by his moral purity and ingrained both-sidesism he is.

1 Like

Please good progressive friends / sisters / brothers, don’t circle the wagons and start shooting each other, that’s just what Shitler in the White House wants.

7 Likes