Obama's policy on Bush's crimes is how Kavanaugh got to the Supreme Court

Indeed.

Constructive criticism of the Obama Administration is perfectly reasonable.
But if this again turns into another fradulent GOP = Democrats equation, I’ll just again vomit.

Having said that, sure, Obama made strategic mistakes. With Republicans, he always started negotiations in the moderate middle, so there was nowhere to compromise but to-the-right. Regarding the lack of investigations into Bush, it wasn’t the Democrats collude with the GOP. I was just that he simply was too much of a Nice Guy, and not partisan enough; it’s not in the Democrat DNA to be assholes to Republicans.

Given that the GOP assholes launched 13 vengeful investigations over Benghazi and numerous other partisan ones, can one imagine what they would have done if 9-11 or Abu Ghraib or the renditions/torture/CIA destruction of evidence had happened under a Democratic administration? (Oh wait. Never mind about the last one, the torture: the GOP would have been fine with that.)

3 Likes

Bush would not and should not “go to jail” for these crimes horrendously bad decisions and policy. But let’s not normalize the origins of the Iraq War and Abu Ghraib and CIA torture, and (what is a crime) the CIA destruction of torture evidence.

The entire Iraq War itself went uninvestigated! How does Cheney get away with pumping the NYT with his spurious “evidence” (CURVEBALL was much more tenuous than any “dossier”), then citing the NYT article itself as justification for war? 13 GOP investigations into Benghazi and 0 for the Iraq War? We just say “Oops!”, give them a mulligan, and hope it never happens like that again?

So what? That aspiration is hyperbolic and ridiculous on its face.

Is this part of a “Obama = Bush” equation? That Obama’s drone strikes are the same as Bush’s falsification of an entire war?

1 Like

There’s a good chance that Donald Trump is going to be out in 2020.

What sucks is: In 2008, Obama inherited an economic crash. He gets blamed for the bad economy that follows (with no credit for avoiding another Great Depression). He’s unable to pass on the reins to another Democrat. Republican who inherits Obama’s successful economy takes all credit for the 2016 economy he had no responsibility for.

In 2020, if a Democrat wins, it will be the same deal. The economy very possibly will have overheated by the tax cuts or prematurely dipped due the tariffs/higher energy costs. Plus, s/he will probably have to raise taxes and cut the military, given that GOP went on a all-expenses-unpaid spending spree. So, again, a Democrat will be responsibly cleaning up the mess left by the previous drunken GOP administration. Oh, and, by the time its all cleaned up again, s/he’ll be ousted by a Republican-- who gets to fuck it all up again.

3 Likes

I don’t know if it was a tacit refusal to prosecute. Considering it pragmatically, what would this have really accompished other than the satisfaction of a W and minions perp walk. I highly doubt it would have been successful in actually bringing anybody to justice and would have sunk his presidency out of the gate.

Here’s hoping, but I wouldn’t count on it.

Time to get all sad and depressed and oh, why even bother, right?

Worked great last big election.

I know if I had something of a media platform, that’s what I’d use it for right now!

Time to get angry, time to vote.

And time to plan what you’ll do when voting does not solve the problem.

1 Like

This is my major disappointment in Obama. When he was elected I expected the crimes of the Bush era to be prosecuted. Instead, they where swept under the rug, or in some cases legalized and expanded (mass surveillance). There was a one off opportunity for the US to walk the walk and own its mistakes, I’m not sure the damage can be undone now.

1 Like

The man and his family served to their best ability — via limits voters themselves imposed.

No, really. Who didn’t show up in 2010, barely so on 2012, and on 2014 stayed mostly at home?

Progressives preferred unicorns instead of real people who could get things done, which then helped hamstring the most progressive President in decades. (Says tons that they couldn’t even bother to show up and nominate Sanders. I guess nominations aren’t sexy or enticing enough.)

The left lost the House, the Senate, the Presidency, and finally the Supreme Court. And it didn’t have to be that way—it wasn’t theirs to lose, but they ceded participation with protest votes and by staying at home.

They surrendered.

I think the Obamas owe us fuckall at this point. If we want to fix things, we should be the ones to do it anyway.

I don’t know how to fix apathy, and I’m trying to figure out, but there ain’t much time.

1 Like

Doing a truth and reconciliation type of investigation? Sure! But Cory was explicit: “Prosecution”, “Nuremburg Trial”. He wants them tossed into prison.

Do you support prosecution of Obama for conspiring to assassinate a US citizen?

If it was illegal then it should be investigated and prosecuted accordingly.

The catch is that all sides need to be investigated and charged when they commit crimes. Which requires an independent, nonpartisan agency.

2 Likes

This occurred even further back when Ronny Raygun walked. Even the main fall guy, Oliver North walked away as a major celebrity for the right, gaining a multitude of speaking engagements, TV appearances, even his own radio show and podcast. When the Raygun admin was basically exonerated for their high crimes against the Consitiution, it set the stage for any future criminal prosecution against any other Presidents to be facetious. It also let anyone in their Presdidential admin to no longer fear consequences for their criminal actions. That’s why I’m not hopeful trump will be indicted and actually be presecuted for his high crimes against the United States Constitution, especially now that Kavanaugh is on SCOTUS. A banana republic is what we have become. I fear for the young people in the nation and the world. Unless something truly earth changing occurs, the future is indeed going to be bleak.

2 Likes

Christ almighty, I can’t agree with you more.

I’m hoping you just forgot your snark tag?

Warren is not a centrist. She is a true Progressive. If she is elected and has at least either the House or Senate on her side, she can do a lot of good for this nation.

1 Like

Mmmm…buttery!

Obama had no excuse 6 months into his first term. I liked Obama, for the most part, and I voted for him twice. But for whatever reason he thought the conservatives wanted to play fair, when they had already stolen the ball, kicked sand in his face and gone home.

1 Like

What did I say that was confusing?

constitutional separation of powers, how do they work?

Actually I was relying on your perspicacity, which I realize is a mistake on the internet. Bothsiderism makes me angry, and my car radio is stuck on NPR.

The right gets just as incensed about things the left does. Obama took drone assassination to new levels & had his guns fiasco with Mexico, etc. If each administration comes in looking to prosecute the previous one, things will get ugly very quickly.

Personally, I would still like to see James Clapper prosecuted for perjury before Congress. But the Obama administration wouldn’t do it to one of their own, and it just isn’t done to a member of the previous administration.