Ocala, FL criminalizes sagging pants

Notice the quote from the city councilwoman who’s pushing this. Her whole motivation is to not have people showing their underwear in public.

It’s so obvious they need to mandate classes on sewing and fashion for all FL males. After all, if you don’t teach these boys to get pants that fit, you just have to contend with sag, and other ungodly side effects.

Who’s on the ground there to start tracking how many girls with low-rise pants/shorts and their underwear showing get busted vs saggy-pantsed guys?

2 Likes

Oh great. Fashion Police got real law enforcement powers.

3 Likes

Thankfully the streets will be safe to walk again and I can finally unclutch my pearls.

9 Likes

Don’t want underwear showing? Hell, I’ve got a solution for that. Though it might chafe a bit.

1 Like

Right, but the ordinance isn’t about exposed underwear but trouser height. So by wearing one’s underwear up around one’s armpits, one violates the spirit of the law while scrupulously adhering to the letter. (And this ordinance absolutely deserves to be violated, just out of principle.) And since it’s defined relative to one’s “natural waist,” unless you’re wearing 19th century-style trousers (which have substantially higher waist-lines than contemporary pants), you’ll likely be in violation of the law just by wearing common fashions. Of course, it’ll only be applied to those wearing one particular style; someone needs to insist that it be consistently applied or not at all - that’ll quickly get it removed from the books.

6 Likes

Yeah, as a general rule of thumb, a man’s “natural waist” falls somewhere at the level of the navel.

The only people who wear pants that way are the extremely old, and the very rare younger person who seriously gets into classic menswear. Even most modern suit pants fall well south of the line (2" minimum), so virtually all of this law’s male sponsors were probably in violation as they crafted it. And, as noted above, any police officer involved in enforcement, too. And virtually any “concerned” citizen who called in an “offense.”

I have a couple of pairs of suit pants that hit my natural waist, but that’s because I had them altered to do so; off the rack, they would have ridden at a much lower point. As for jeans, forget it; you’d have to sport some “Saved By the Bell” era pleated, 36 belt-loop, acid-washed monstrosities.

http://sas.guidespot.com/bundles/guides_41/assets/widget_aba1iKuAjjmlatjuScANws.jpg

This law is some totally ill-conceived, racist bullshit, is what I’m saying.

8 Likes

This seems like a perfect example of two wrongs not making a right.

1 Like

grumblebum has unlocked the I Z. What You Did There achievement!

1 Like

Not so fast. Other urban legends have it that their origins are rooted in hand-me-downs from older brothers.
Truth is, unless it’s had a massive media showing, fashions’ origins are obscure at best.
Yeah, ridiculous look, but an equally ridiculous law. A couple of generations down the line won’t be seen dead in that ‘old fashioned’ crap.

Or simply because that’s the way we’re doing things now, sorry old people! Like most fashion.

I used to live in Ocala. Although I recognise the unconstitutionality of it, I still think it’s a great idea. People need to dress properly.

Who is to be the arbiter of what constitutes “proper” dress? There are plenty of self-appointed fashion police out there but I don’t think they should actually get guns and badges.

If it’s a matter of indecent exposure than existing laws should cover it. Otherwise the law should stay far, far away from what people are allowed to wear.

9 Likes

Florida is the closest thing America has to an elephant burial ground. If young men took advice on how to wear pants from the voting public then they’d be buckling their belts across their nipples.

4 Likes

Why, oh why? Who is the arbiter? Is there a voting procedure, or an ad-hoc committee, or other mechanism of codification of what counts as “proper”?

2 Likes

The troll in me wants very much to go to Ocala, FL with a newly minted pair of bagg’ns, false-sagging jeans.

That’s two waistlines, people!

16 Likes

I know flash mobs are kinda passé now, but how beautiful would it be to see a hundred kids occupy a public space in this dipshit town all with sagging pants. Viral in 3…2…1…

2 Likes

And, I shall peg them! And wear them with white socks and black creepers And my Fishbone shirt! And a black headband. And… oh god, it wasn’t a great look in high school, who am I kidding! (Except Fishbone, because they hold up pretty well).

in-fucking-deed

3 Likes

Thank Octavia they only said both genders. I don’t have to wear any pants at all!

6 Likes

That makes it sound like wearing “sagging” pants is “wrong,” when it’s just a subjective judgment of fashion, no better or worse than skinny jeans, bell-bottoms, mullets, mohawks, George Washington’s wig or ponytail, shaggy Beatles, parachute pants, nose-rings, zoot suits, cummerbunds, cravats, etc. It’s just one culture versus another. As long as no one is hurting each other or themselves, it’s as important as arguing over or regulating what flavors of ice cream you like, or which flavors are acceptable.

1 Like

Sir Patrick has you covered:

2 Likes