Ocala, FL criminalizes sagging pants

Wikipedia cites Greg Mathis (tv judge) for the claim that this fashion was inspired by prisoners, but it didn’t occur to me to question his authority on this. He may be repeating the same urban legend everyone else does.

“People need to dress properly.”
That’s mighty white of you to say so.

6 Likes

Mayor Ed Grimley, I must say:

6 Likes

Um…
I guess hardly anyone at all has watched the video, because a lot of people believe this is a racial thing against young black men (possibly from an older white woman). Let me introduce you to Councilwoman Mary Rich of Ocala, FL who says, “I just think it’s disgraceful to show your underwear.” What’s really going on here is that she’s fed up with the appearance of young men in her district. While I don’t agree with making a law about it, I think it’s important to know that she shares skin color with the people you guys think are being racially targeted.

1 Like

ALWAYS question authority.

1 Like

These pants are clearly the work of the Ketamine Generation. Jesus fuck.

1 Like

Hey!
Those are my peeps.

I mean. Peeeeeeeeeeeeepssss.

I’m fairly certain my fashion sense is infallible, but a certain amount of confusion on the point is understandable. :wink:

It came immediately to the mind:

3 Likes

I think we have finally gotten to the bottom of the matter. (rimshot) Mary, your thoughts are your own. Would you like to not talk about it over caffeinated sorbet and very special brownie I made myself?

1 Like

Suddenly I have the urge to unlace some woman’s corset and sniff her bustle.

My father routinely puts clashing colors and/or patterns together in his outfits, and because he’s lost weight in his old age, his pants are noticeably saggy when they’re not cinched in with a belt. Is he dressed properly enough for you?

Come to think of it, I’ll bet a good percentage of people in Ocala dress the way he does, for the same reason (age, failing eyesight, etc.).

1 Like

When I Am Old

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat that doesn’t go, and doesn’t suit me,
And I shall spend my pension
on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals,
and say we’ve no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired,
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells,
And run my stick along the public railings,
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people’s gardens,
And learn to spit.
You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat,
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go,
Or only bread and pickle for a week,
And hoard pens and pencils and beer mats
and things in boxes.
But now we must have clothes that keep us dry,
And pay our rent and not swear in the street,
And set a good example for the children.
We will have friends to dinner and read the papers.
But maybe I ought to practise a little now?
So people who know me
are not too shocked and surprised,
When suddenly I am old
and start to wear purple!

• Jenny Joseph
9 Likes

I was just thinking about this poem today, in fact, and what came to mind at the time was that I would change it from “purple” to “any damned thing I feel like”!!

2 Likes

As you (and your father) both should!

1 Like

It’s not what you think. The little naked guy that man is smuggling under his shirt is just starting to slip.

13 Likes

Alzheimer’s is a tragic way to go.

Hand me downs can be belted to stay up, not an option in prison. Ockhams razor says not buying it.

Based on @ta2dalchemist’s definition, I do have a waistline. It just happens to be my hips. That combined with my Hank Hill butt (very little junk in my trunk) means pants don’t stay up easily on me. Why is Ocala writing laws designed to target me and my flat ass?

1 Like

Perhaps you’re too white?