Ocean waves can hurl boulders 2.5X the weight of the Statue of Liberty

I wondered about this. The paper shows some pics and illustrations of high cliffs, but the giant boulder (#293) is down at the cliff base.

The two largest blocks (Supplementary Table 1, boulder numbers 267 and 293, each weighing several hundred tonnes) are located close to sea level. At greater elevations, the clasts that moved are smaller—but “smaller” is a relative term: boulders up to 20 t mass were transported at 20 m AHW. The highest elevation at which we recorded displacement is 26 m AHW (at 18 m inland, maximum clast size 1.2 t: Location 24 in Supplementary Table 1), and the farthest distance inland is 222 m (at 20 m AHW, maximum clast size 28. 5 t, Location 54).

George Plantagenet (Duke of Clarence). Not to relent is beastly, savage, devilish.
Which of you, if you were a prince’s son,
Being pent from liberty, as I am now,
if two such murderers as yourselves came to you,
Would not entreat for life?
My friend, I spy some pity in thy looks:
O, if thine eye be not a flatterer,
Come thou on my side, and entreat for me,
As you would beg, were you in my distress
A begging prince what beggar pities not?
Second Murderer. Look behind you, my lord.
First Murderer. Take that, and that: if all this will not do,
[Stabs him]
I’ll drown you in the malmsey-butt within.
[Exit, with the body]

Second Murderer. A bloody deed, and desperately dispatch’d!
How fain, like Pilate, would I wash my hands
Of this most grievous guilty murder done!

Dat butt tho

2 Likes

Especially that lady…things could get ugly

StatueLibertyAngel

5 Likes

Yeah, but the Statue of Liberty is hollow. If you sealed it up it would surely float, like a duck!

3 Likes
4 Likes

Glad to see that somebody got it. :duck:

1 Like

How Well Different Ocean Barriers Handle Storm Surges

they have some new technology that collects energy from waves on the shore using giant paddles. wish i knew what it was called

I know where we can put that rock…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.