Ocean waves can hurl boulders 2.5X the weight of the Statue of Liberty

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/11/ocean-waves-can-hurl-boulders.html

3 Likes

27 Likes

Sounds like bad news for futuristic underwater habitats.

8 Likes

No wonder Homer called Poseidon the “earth-shaker”.

Who did Homer call the “rump-shaker”?

Boom - posted twice in one week.

5 Likes

I’ve seen house-sized boulders that move from year to year in steep western river systems. Some years a few inches, some years a few feet, depending on the seasonal rains.

2 Likes

FloweryRadiantKestrel-size_restricted

4 Likes

Man, smart people really do doubt themselves all the time. This question is the furthest from my mind. This study seems inherently super-rad.

8 Likes

It makes me think of what I learned from tai-chi. apart from, say, chemical explosions, we tend to think of force as generated by just crude mechanical movement: a muscle is only so strong, and some advantage from leverage in the joints. Not to be a Lee fanboy, but just to cite a well-known example, Bruce Lee’s one-inch-punch could blow you across the room. He wasn’t generating force strictly by brawn, he was generating a wave from his toes through his body controlled to break as it reached his knuckles. Lee was also exceptionally strong, true, but the whole body working as a system doesn’t have to move nearly as much to generate more force than mere muscle power–that’s tai-chi in a nutshell.
These ocean waves have the momentum and weight of the entire ocean to draw on. Add a storm onto that and watch out!

[trivia @Mister44: that was a young Pharell Williams’ first beat. But he bit the horn sample from PE, tho.]

9 Likes

I have no sense of what the Statue of Liberty weighs.

620 tons ~= 5 blue whales or locomotive engines, or 3 jumbo jets.

EDIT, per @anothernewbbaccount : or 75 London double-decker buses.

11 Likes

That’s not even close to being the world’s biggest rock.

4 Likes

Put this together with rising sea levels and it could become really exciting!

3 Likes

The agreed International Standard is London double-decker buses. Please comply. Thanks.

8 Likes

Future sports:

2 Likes

I’m glad I’m not the only one waiting for 2020!!

You know, one doesn’t usually discuss a lady’s weight…

7 Likes

Not a very useful reference, how many 747’s or blue whales is that?

2 Likes

So what is that as far as buttloads go?

Buttload: “A ‘butt’ is a traditional unit of volume used for wines and other alcoholic beverages. A butt is generally defined to be two hogsheads, but the size of hogsheads varies according to the contents. In the United States a hogshead is typically 63 gallons and a butt is 126 gallons.”

Edit: And for lulz i take this moment to remind everyone of this petition

2 Likes
1 Like

I don’t know the weights but I saw a lot of huge boulders on the cliff tops on the Atlantic side of Inishmore, Ireland while hiking there. Considering that the cliffs are 100+ feet in places, seeing rocks the size of a VW that had been tossed there was damned impressive. I had a couple of locals describe the storms they get but it didn’t really sink in until I saw the evidence myself.

2 Likes

never underestimate the power of something as seemingly simple as water

2 Likes