Octopuses, starfish, and prawns rain down on Chinese city

Disagree, dont think he was gullible. I think Forte was brilliant if eccentric. He believed everything eventually has a scientific explanation, whether an event or phenomena was a hoax or natural, just because we don’t know how or why it happened d oesnt mean it either 1) didn’t happen or 2) godmadeithappenwhyaskquestions.

He collected all those newspapers, letters etc because he was basically trying to create the Internet before computers were around by
collecting a shit ton of info in one searchable location.

https://subscribe.forteantimes.com/blog
Fortean Times is a great skeptics site, very fun.

6 Likes

…and tomorrow, Cloudy with a chance of Stir-fry.

5 Likes

Oh no! Clip art is falling from the sky!

8 Likes

Yeah, as I was reading that article, I was envisioning me running around in a helmet and carrying a pitchfork or shovel.

2 Likes
1 Like

I loved his explanation for “objects falling from sky” (which often turned out to really be “objects which happened to be lying around but observers didn’t notice who put them there.”) He thought alien spacecraft were having fights in the upper atmosphere and were spilling their cargos - of things like, um, sea creatures and coal (because the craft were apparently coal-powered). My favorite was the “alien life-form that fell into a field” that turned out to be an inedible part of a fisherman’s catch that got dumped into the field to use as fertilizer.

Or just eccentric. Really, really eccentric.

2 Likes

It was no picnic for any octopuses involved in the event either, I’d imagine.

3 Likes

More of a sky diving outing.

OK to disagree, but papers in those days did just make up any random shit to boost sales. And one man ate it up and asked for more.

1 Like

To you and Shuck: I know, I know. Points conceded.

I’ve read Book of the Damned and there IS a lot of crap in it.

It may be i like his concept and way with words more than his scientific standards. For some reason, brings to mind William Blake

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.