Oculus execs defend founder's support of Nazi propaganda machine

Quite honestly, the one single place that’s referred to his shitposts as “Nazi propaganda” is BoingBoing. Everywhere else, they’re described as racist and offensive, but unless you define any Trump supporter as a literal Nazi and any promotion of their beliefs as propaganda, the stuff he’s paying people to post isn’t “Nazi” in origin at all.

3 Likes

Daily Stormer, for one, /pol/, for another, along with Stormfront and, to some extent, Breitbart. All four websites are big users of these sorts of memes that are created by this fellow’s resources, they’re all alt-right home-spaces, and the first three are all unapologetically white supremacist/neo-Nazi spaces that are actively evangelizing and outreaching.

4 Likes

Not familiar with the first one, of course the second one, and to some extent the third one. But are either of those three directly related to this issue? I am not saying their aren’t NeoNazis - just that I haven’t seen them as relating to this issue.

So letting everyone slide is justice? I can see how it’s fair, but that’s not the same thing. Declaring murder legal because you can’t solve all the murders, that would also be fair.

This assumes that I have perfect information, or that I have the resources to acquire it. It’s not the one person I care to catch, it’s the one that I’ve caught so far. Think of the patrolman handing out speeding tickets. He’s doing his best. He might only catch one speeder out of a hundred but no, taking a nap in the back seat and letting them all slide is not “just as valid.”

I respect that. But if others choose to make a moral stand on this issue then I respect that too. Your argument is essentially belittling people for being too small and impotent to make a hundred stands at once, which is not very nice.

2 Likes

Yes. They are passing around the memes being sourced from this guy, with gusto.

2 Likes

Well my over riding thoughts on the matter of boycotts stem on it being hypocrisy. I try to be consistent in life, though I too fail. But basically the reason for boycotting one thing, you can apply to something else one uses every day yet don’t boycott. Some times knowingly some times not. But arbitrarily coming down on someone while supporting someone doing the same thing/something similar isn’t very nice either.

But putting that aside for this specific issue:

In this case, if you are condemning Oculus for not condemning Palmer more harshly because he supports Nazi Propaganda, I think the information available isn’t supporting the accusation.

At this point, the only thing Palmer seems clearly guilty of is giving money to a Pro Trump site. I can condemn him for being a jackass, but I can’t condemn a company because someone gave money to a ProTrump site. That would certainly exclude just about every large company in America.[quote=“bibliophile20, post:68, topic:86236”]
Yes. They are passing around the memes being sourced from this guy, with gusto.
[/quote]

Sourced from who? Palmer direct? Nimble America? Why hasn’t this been reported on directly by wierd, thedailybeast, or the Guardian etc?

As I understand it, Nimble America has been, for an indeterminate amount of time over the last few months, been creating various anti-Hillary, pro-Trump memes, along with various alt-right, antisemitic, anti-immigration, and pro-fascism memes. This group has been funded by the Occulus Rift guy. Then, recently, they started a PAC that is being viewed as a scam. Why it hasn’t been covered by media sources, I don’t know, although I will be on the lookout for articles to that effect now.

But I do know that I’ve seen, personally, at least several instances of antisemitic, Neo-Nazi memes being used by actual Neo-Nazis (with Swastikas and the Greedy Jew images) that had the Nimble America stamp at the bottom. I’m sorry that I don’t have sources for you on this that you’ll accept, beyond my word that they’ve been energetically accepted by those who think that “shitposting” is all fun and games.

4 Likes

well, not really. I mean post war there were a lot of technological advancements in rocketry by the the Americans, but those were thanks to the war criminals the US recruited, ignored the crimes of and put to work at NASA.

1 Like

Well, you certainly got the Trump-speak down.

To be clear, I am not defending Nimble America. I have no idea how much of a scam they are or are not. While I have no idea how much Palmer knew what they were doing or not, he did still support a shitposting org and that’s fine to call him out on it.

Well, finally, some evidence. Yes, I accept that you saw these images from Nimble America (only because you are a regular, I wouldn’t give as much weight to the claim from a “stranger”.). Yes we can acknowledge that Palmer’s money went to create Neo-nazi memes.

Has Oculus been made aware of these? Because none of the articles I read mention these, just anti-Hillary shit posting. Until just now, I don’t believe anyone had evidence that this even existed. As I said, the only reference I saw was a quote from a 3rd party DEVELOPER.

Shitposting is neither fun, nor games. It just makes everything worse.

Please explain. Calling for some reason is more or less the opposite of Trump-speak. Nor is it support for Palmer or Trump.[quote=“incarnedine_v, post:71, topic:86236, full:true”]
well, not really. I mean post war there were a lot of technological advancements in rocketry by the the Americans, but those were thanks to the war criminals the US recruited, ignored the crimes of and put to work at NASA.
[/quote]

Yes, really. No Nazis, and von Braun would have been doing rockets anyway. Let’s assume there was no von Braun and crew, someone would have built on Dr. Goddards designs and developed rockets eventually. Certainly WWII pressed some radical ideas into service faster, including jet engines. But it would have eventually happened with out WWII.

2 Likes

The Roman Catholic Church fought battles over this in the 13th century. The Cathars believed that only a truly righteous person could be a priest; if this belief became widespread most of the Catholic hierarchy would have a problem keeping their jobs. The solution, of course, was to massacre the Cathars, quite indiscriminately. Arnaut of Citeaux was said to be the origin of the infamous t-shirt slogan “Kill them all and let God sort them out”, though of course he said it in Latin.

And that’s why I tend to agree with you, because the argument about separation of roles is very popular with the rich and powerful.

2 Likes

That’s I think the key. Whether or not they are involved in actual Naziism, It is not hyperbole that Nimble America themselves refer to what they do as shitposting, that they are/were deliberately trying to destroy democratic discourse, using hate memes to advance antisocial goals.

3 Likes

But not with over a hundred thousand slave labourers to make the equipment regardless of risk, and unlimited State funding. Rocketry depended on two extraordinary men; von Braun and Korolev. Korolev got into prison for embezzling State funds to build his first rockets, then when the Cold War started he became someone so important that only people privy to State secrets even knew his name. Without WW2 and the Nazi Party, and Hitler’s obsession with high-tech gadgets, we might be talking about eventually getting to the Moon round about now.

1 Like

The problem, of course, is that as they were seen “in the wild”, any sightings have to be taken with a grain of salt, as substantiating the chain of authorship is neigh-impossible. Hence why I didn’t bring it up beforehand.

2 Likes

Perhaps then this is why it isn’t reported by the credible sites like Wired, they can’t conclusively prove authorship?[quote=“Enkita, post:76, topic:86236”]
Rocketry depended on two extraordinary men; von Braun and Korolev.
[/quote]

Nah, someone would have come up with the technology. As soon as it was done? No.

Also, had the Russians not have gotten the bomb when they did, we wouldn’t have gone to the moon when we did. The space race was the veneer for the REAL reason behind the need of rocket technology - ICBMs.

1 Like

Probably. But, yeah, I’ve seen a bunch of this shit coming out of the “Third Reich fandom” (gag-puke) over on Tumblr, and they love Nimble America as a “right-thinking group”.

4 Likes

Along with Luckey, Nimble America was founded by two moderators of Reddit’s r/The_Donald, which helped popularize Trump-themed white supremacist and anti-Semitic memes along with 4Chan and 8Chan.

From the article that broke the story:

If Milo Yiannopoulos is involved, it is bound to be shady. If memory serves, that subreddit was also the source of Trump’s infamous “sheriff’s star” ad.

Oculus is at least OK with what he does, or insufficiently not OK to do anything about it. My standards are different. If Oculus continues to employ him, in the form of the board not getting rid of him, then they are tarred with his brush. Money spent on Oculus products in part goes to fund his activities. So it at least won’t be my money.

Well, working at Nimble America is Milo Yiannopoulos who works at Breitbart. Milo was working with another mod from The Donald reddit board on Nimble America. To become a mod of their reddit board, one of questions people were asked as the difference between difference between white nationalism and white supremacy. So it looks like they seem themselves as white nationalists and differentiate themselves from white supremacists. Basically all to give their horrible racism a better image.

Yup and since the news broke out that Palmer Luckey was funding Nimble America, they have deleted NimbleRichMan account and they have been covering their tracks. Luckey’s girl-friend who is a big Trump supporter also deleted her Twitter account. It’s quite possible that they deleted other accounts and posts from Nimble America. The only thing that Nimble America is admitting publicly to have done right now is the “Too big to jail” billboard.

2 Likes

What’s this - “you aren’t doing everything, so don’t do anything”?

I’m not sure that’s a very robust position to try and defend.

4 Likes

To be fair, we are talking about eventually getting to the Moon round about now. The Apollo program succeeded, but getting there with 1960s technology was incredibly expensive and unacceptably risky.

1 Like