Odd Stuff (Part 2)

Ah, thanks that must’ve been it.

4 Likes

Was there falling debris? I’m not that picky… :pleading_face:

4 Likes

Just the tip I’m afraid.

(Booo! Booo!)

3 Likes

Ilha da Queimada Grande, a tiny blip of land off the coast of Brazil, has roughly one snake per square meter by some estimates and is the exclusive home to one of the deadliest snakes in the world, the golden lancehead viper. It’s so dangerous there, the government mostly doesn’t allow humans to set foot there.

In college, i had a class with one of the herpetologists allowed to visit that island in brazil with a high concentration of snakes to study them.
He said that their unique development, isolated in that island, make them much more dangerous than other snakes, even for herpetologist, because they are the unique venomous species that attack from above, while other snakes are usually found on the ground and people dealing with them look down while walking.

10 Likes

Great: flying snakes!

What did you study?

3 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

Note to self: create a bellybutton biometric scanner for added computer security. Less likely to be on file than eyes, fingerprints, and ears.

3 Likes

Brazil’s got Drop Sneks!

6 Likes
3 Likes

None of this ED-209 on stairs stuff.

4 Likes

In this case, “properly handled” means the funeral home got paid twice thanks to their scamming ways.

3 Likes

Engineering.
It was a mandatory course about environment.

1 Like

A new island has popped up off the coast of Japan thanks to an underwater volcano

8 Likes

4ca1bb42c168f158b1fd1afb632d5d644d2a0aca_2_405x500

14 Likes

Let’s hope a revoked license is in their future… :crystal_ball:

1 Like

That’s actually impressive, that engineers would be required to learn about the environment as part of their training. I don’t believe that’s universal, unfortunately.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, it is not as good as it seems, because in those course outside of engineering we usually got some random teachers which would not be assigned to each faculty own students (I’m not sure why that herpetologist was in that class, and the main teacher looked a bit like a con-man and was unofficially prohibited to teach classes for the biology students).
Other mandatory courses that i got outside of engineering were primally given by adjunct teachers or grad students.

2 Likes

So, normal faculty. :wink:

Heh. Yeah. We’ve got a few of those. One professor who is not allowed to teach in his/her research area ever again. We simply stopped teaching that subject because s/he is tenured and we can’t teach the classes with anyone else, and can’t hire contingent faculty to do it because s/he is the “Professor of This Thing.” So, those courses are no longer offered, and s/he can’t go into the building where his/her research would be conducted without supervision. But . . . s/he can teach GenEd!!!

2 Likes
1 Like