Odd Stuff (Part 3)

4 Likes

Up next: vegan appliances.

A question for the UK folk; when you buy an appliance these days, do you still have to wire your own plug or do the appliances come pre-wired with a plug now?

3 Likes

I’d imagine that also sums up parenting sometimes.

9 Likes

Can confirm

8 Likes

Pretty sure it’s solely because she’s a woman. How dare she.

8 Likes

Next thing you know, she’ll be firmly shaking hands with other world leaders, instead of extending the tips of her daintily curled fingers. :scream:

8 Likes

Incoming Whang video

1 Like

Maybe followups should go to Fuck Today.

13 Likes

Sad A Christmas Story GIF by filmeditor

9 Likes

If appliances once came such that you had to fit your own plug, it was a long, long time ago. Everything now comes with a plug, usually moulded into place, and has done for years and years.

4 Likes

6 Likes

24 Likes
11 Likes

Well NOW I feel old!

Not just appliances, even lamps and things. Can confirm!

7 Likes

Huh. Bought a new dryer in 2020. The plug came separately. Same with the dishwasher last year.

6 Likes

09_algjohn1_phixr

11 Likes

So, what is the reason for putting your own plug together? Is it so you can determine your own cord length?

4 Likes

17 Likes

It was because of the switchover to the plug in use today. For a while in the UK there were two non-compatible plug types so you had to wire your appliances yourself. In the US there was a period where some homes had the two-prong outlet while others still had screw-in outlets. Look at the old Tom and Jerry cartoons.

And @CitizenJohnJohn, I lived in England in the '80’s and was the designated plug-put-togetherer in my house.

11 Likes

I have no idea where to put this so here ya go:

4 Likes