Odd Stuff (Part 5)

18 Likes

Follow up:

16 Likes

Just look at it!

12 Likes

Kuba Komet 60, 1959

14 Likes

One of my granddads1) used to make stuff like this as a hobby. Usually on a smaller scale like clocks. I think he even used exactly this as a template for some of the clocks. It’s very much the same design, only small enough to put on a sideboard or mantelpiece. But the shape, asymmetrical top on rectangular base on little legs, and the wood marquetry is virtually identical. He just might have seen a picture in a trade magazine at the time and thought, hey that’s nice. The timeline checks out, anyway.
He also built a wonderful cabinet that held a radio, a 33/45/78 record player with a stack of records, a reel to reel tape machine with a stack of tapes, a b/w TV set and a little bar. Everything hidden in drawers and behind doors with geometric shapes in marquetry, every surface with a flawless, clear, polished piano finish.
Sadly I don’t have any good pictures of it, there’s always just bits of it in the background in the usual family pictures.

1) The piano builder/butcher. Not the bricklayer/small farmer.

12 Likes

Thanks for finding the reference!

7 Likes

Why is that furniture winking at me and pouting?

9 Likes

Be thankful it’s not a couch.

9 Likes

Lost in translation…

8 Likes

17 Likes

The zeppelins in the background was an especially nice touch

7 Likes

22 Likes

14 Likes

Nikki Glaser Horn GIF by Max

8 Likes

That’s some fast acting food poisoning. Don’t eat at Trump properties!

7 Likes

I thought you were replying to the post right above yours. That works great too! :laughing:

5 Likes

15 Likes

Updated photo!

16 Likes

If you have to ask, you’re already under arrest.

3 Likes
7 Likes