Odd Stuff (Part 5)

“El first car mass-produced by the brand would arrive in 1958platforms, DAF 600, a small two-door family sedan that featured a two cylinders type boxer refrigerated by a government-protected.”

Nice machine translation there…

Anyway, for those who don’t know: the “Variomatic” (sort of belt-driven, the belts needed to be replaced every now and then) automatic transmission was smooth (for the time), comfortable and you coud drive a DAF backwards as fast as you could drive it forward.
Around here they had the nickname Daffodils.

The Variomatic sort of lives on as some variants of CVTs, but drive-your-car-backwards-as-fast-as-forwards isn’t a thing anymore.

6 Likes
4 Likes

Psssst @pesco

1 Like

6 Likes

Warm Vernors, yes. Never had hot Dr Pepper nor Mr Pibb.

5 Likes

Why would you drink Vernors warm??

2 Likes

It’s esp good for unhappy tummies. Maybe it’s a local thing: everyone I’ve ever known around Detroit has been hip to it.

4 Likes

In the UP we just drink it cold for upset stomach. I guess that tracks. It’s a cold place.

5 Likes

Ginger tea - esp when you boil hell outta thin slices of actual ginger root - is even better. Powdered ginger from yr spice cabinet works, too. Just stir it into freshly boil’d water.

3 Likes

Oh, for sure. That’s actually my go-to. I’m more likely to have ginger tea on hand than Vernors. And sliced ginger in a hot tottie with lemon and honey is quite good. Even better with a touch of booze. Despite all that, I never considered drinking Vernors warm. Or hot. It makes sense if that’s what you’ve got? But for hot drinks I’d go for ginger root or tea first before warming up pop. And the thought of hot Dr Pepper just infuriates me. But I guess that’s a me problem.

2 Likes

Yeah, the idea of hot Dr P does not appeal to my senses.

4 Likes
1 Like

I can’t wait for Nov. 10th and the visiting of the Trisulc mNeil…

6 Likes

You can’t fool me, that’s just 3 paddingtons in a trenchcoat.

3 Likes

The Halla-aho posters, which at first glance resemble official campaign advertisements, were altered to display phrases such as “Fascist Halla-aho” and “Finland must be a safe space for Nazis.”

I’m just reporting the news.

8 Likes

That sounds familiar.

3 Likes

I couldn’t find the Man Yells at Cloud thread, so:

said the conspiracy theorist and Scientology stan. Apparently more serious films include The Fast and the Furious franchise, but just the early ones, because now there are too many crashes.

Anyway, I get the feeling he hasn’t seen Barbie and is mainly upset that people don’t want to work with him anymore. But maybe that’s just my fantasy.

6 Likes

Good to know that he doesn’t think sexism is a serious subject.

7 Likes

From what I have had the misfortune of seeing from Oliver Stone, “serious” means treating something in a tedious and self-important fashion. Not only is Barbie about sexism, but it’s also light-hearted and fun. Fun is for infants, presumably.

8 Likes

3 Likes