Odd Stuff (Part 1)

Magnet Car looks like fun too!

7 Likes

This is oddly fascinating.

Also, I must revise my doomsday protocols.

6 Likes

15 Likes

The replies are gold. :laughing:

8 Likes

Apparently that other dominatrix was Melissa Cheng. She says she’s being scapegoated (thrown in jail and had her stuff seized) and has set up a gofundme for “lawyer fees and med leave.”

BB story:

5 Likes

16:48 and a year old, but more relevant than ever and well worth a watch of part or all of it IMHO.

5 Likes

New Army computer tool will give commanders detailed risk assessments of their soldiers

2 Likes

Cross cultural communication at its finest.

15 Likes

I love Philly cheesesteaks. Alas, getting a good cheesesteak in Texas is such an uphill battle that I resigned myself to making them at home even before the pandemic.

Besides, at home I can dress it up and no one looks at me like I just defaced the Liberty Bell. :smirk:

12 Likes

I have no dog in fights over how people like their food. Other than that yellow mustard isn’t mustard.

7 Likes

Some yellow mustard is. It just has turmeric in it.

The American stuff is kind of yellow ketchup though. Sugar and vinegar.

6 Likes

the way i get a good philly cheesesteak in texas is to make it myself. i had friend from pennsylvania when i went to college in the 80s. he had gotten his bachelor’s degree at slippery rock and was getting his mfa at the university i was attending. He taught me how to make them. my recipe has become slightly more elaborate than the original but he’d recognize the final product if he saw it.

i start with a thick slab of ribeye which i put in the freezer until it is really firm. then i get out my mandolin and slice the ribeye thinly. i take the sliced steak and fry it until it’s just brown. it makes for a hell of a sandwich.

11 Likes
4 Likes

I’d heard good and bad reviews of Taste of Philly cheesesteak places around the country. Most of the negatives are about the bread and extras (like the peppers mentioned above). Any DIY solution has to be better than what they served us on “Cheesesteak Day” in my high school cafeteria. They used hot dog rolls, with a single slice of unchopped meat that looked like a Steak-umm, and a slice of American cheese set on top of that. :unamused:

We could’ve found a better cheesesteak at any pizza place in town, or made the 30-minute drive into Philly if necessary. That incident is still a winner when we reminisce with other SJ grads about which school had the worst food, though. :nauseated_face:

5 Likes
4 Likes

Hey Reg readers, Happy Spreadsheet day! Because there ain’t no party like an Excel party

Break out the bunting and crack out the Excel-based party puns. Tomorrow is Spreadsheet day, and it’s time to party like it’s 00/01/1900 .

Everybody gest a spreadsheet!!

6 Likes

Software billionaire accused of hiding $2bn in income from IRS – potentially the largest tax scam in US history

The US Justice Department on Thursday charged billionaire software tycoon Robert Brockman with tax evasion, wire fraud, money laundering, and other offenses.

6 Likes

From the comments on this post:

Which definitely feels like a “me in 2019 vs me in 2020” meme.

11 Likes

Something for the Weekend, Sir?

The vid-confs drinking game: Down a shot of brandy every time someone titters ‘Sorry, I was on mute’

3 Likes

Something for the Boing Boing Shop:

3 Likes