Oddsmakers in the UK say Trump has a 50/50 shot of being impeached in the next 12 months

That UK oddsmakers have that much faith in us makes me feel… some combination of proud and very sad.

1 Like

If there is an election in 2020 (assuming Trump’s election commission doesn’t cancel it indefinitely until they can get to the bottom of those “millions of illegal votes”) I expect Trump to claim fraud if he loses while refusing to leave the White House on inauguration day unless he’s marched out by gunpoint.

Hell if he’s impeached before then (and probably only if the GOP are desperate for Ryan to take over before all is lost), it wouldn’t surprise me if he attempted to nuke someone before being dragged out.

This tyrant is not going out quietly.

3 Likes

The greatest death a psychopathic narcissist like Trump could experience is to wake up one day in a world where no one knows who he is nor do they care.

2 Likes

It’s Trump, so it will likely be accidental. His diet alone could do it.

2 Likes

He must hate being President. Yes it’s a power trip, but he can no longer grab pussy and say stupid things without the entire world calling him out on it. Before he got into politics he was able to do those things willy nilly. He probably misses those days.

4 Likes

Wait, I thought he’d already done that?

Seriously though, I don’t want the bastard impeached, because the people in line to take his place are at least semi-competent politicians who stand a chance of accomplishing their goals, whereas trump is an incompetent buffoon who is more a hindrance than a help in getting the Republican agenda passed.

I’ll take incompetent evil over competent evil any day.

4 Likes

Well, if we have to stop letting refugees in until we have developed new extreme vetting procedures, it seems like we should certainly hold off on major elections until we have implemented the recommendations from the Voter Integrity Commission.

Otherwise, how could we ever trust the results?

1 Like

Yeah. They’re from the UK and can be forgiven for not realizing how bitterly partisan and utterly shameless the US Congress is now.

1 Like

If the new President is lawfully sworn in but Trump refuses to leave the White House, then surely the only problem would be that Trump is squatting in the President’s residence. The new President can cut all the telecommunication links to the White House, withdraw the domestic staff., and instruct the Marine guards to stop Trump’s people going to work the next morning (unless they’ve prepared for that by staying overnight).

1 Like

So, Flow my Tears, the Secret Serviceman Said.?__

4 Likes

Adding this to my reading list and rushing it to the top five.

The scariest thing about Trump to me is that I think if he became truly self-destructive/suicidal I think he’d try to start a nuclear war. In his mind, if he’s gonna go, he might as well take every single person on the planet with him.

2 Likes

I understand, and I’m not saying you should ignore that possibility, but I doubt that’s a useful story.

1 Like

You can have that bet, but I will raise you that he will blame Hillary for his murder and somehow convince his entire entourage that she did it and get them to stage the whole thing.

2 Likes

The End: Somebody convinces trump that Obama had something to do with his mother getting pregnant and he returns to the past to terminate himself.

4 Likes

The conspiracy theories about him being murdered are just one aspect of the chaos that would ensue.

Well, it’s not really a story at all, useful or otherwise, and it’s certainly not a story about me. It’s a thing that might happen.

2 Likes

That’s a very bad idea, when you consider there’s considerably more to the POTUS’s job than pursuing party agenda.

Even if we ignore the possibility of Trump starting a nuclear war because Kim Jong-un mocked him in a tweet, he’s a reckless, thin-skinned narcissistic moron who unfortunately is in charge of the US military. All you need is a military crisis, and Trump’s blundering and posturing might end up turning a tense situation into a shooting war.

And it’s the same with international diplomacy, and the economy. A moron in the White House is a danger to everyone, simply because they’re a moron; President Pence or President Ryan would be bad, but they’d be a familiar, predictable sort of bad. (Especially since, if things get to the point where Trump is successfully impeached, the successor’s starting with negative political capital, a demoralized GOP, and the Democrats circling them like a bunch of hungry sharks when your life vest has turned out to leak blood when wet.)

2 Likes

Exactly. What is the functional difference between actual time travel into the past vs. convincing everyone that you time traveled into the past?

2 Likes

Call me optimistic, delusional, or just desperately hopeful–and I might concede at least one of these–but I feel that other higher-ups in the nuclear chain of of command would shut down a one-person meltdown like that. They are not automatons. Granted, they’re expected to behave like automatons in this context but it’s been two generations since such apocalyptic orders were given. Morally justified sabotage is not just for the proles and plebes.

4 Likes

I would hope so. This sort of thing has happened before. I’ve read that Nixon gave the order to launch some nukes more than once while drunk out of his mind.

3 Likes