Office furniture company: If you keep working from home you'll turn into a claw-handed hunchbacked cave dweller

As someone on another site commented; “I never gave them permission to use my photo!”

7 Likes

Did they manage to avoid the awkward implications regarding the idle rich being apathetic children fit only to be bred and slaughtered as cattle or the ‘your boss is going to profit-maximize you into an subterranean ape’?

I can see the Heil going straight toward to scientifically-questionable-account-of-human-selective-breeding angle; but I’m having a harder time imagining them liking the direction Wells actually took the story.

2 Likes

Isn’t the pipe requirement only for metaphysicists(protective beard mandatory for high energy metaphysics)?

1 Like

“It’s toasted.”

Make the most of it, guys.

2 Likes

All these scientists and shit made something that looks a lot like stable diffusion

Anna, Anna, are you okay!? What will Arnold look like??? We are headed for catastrophe! THE CAMEL TOE ALONE GOING UP HER PUBIC BONE! Yikes.

1 Like

Well, yes, technically the Humpback of Notre Dame worked from home…

11 Likes

Don’t know about anywhere else but we all had to submit health and safety forms for our workspace at home and were authorised to buy appropriate furniture when necessary and possible. Mind you, that was the law. The initial idea was that those that didn’t have an appropriate space at home could be prioritised for safe and distanced work in the office when that was open.

You should have a healthy environment both at home and in work (my only real changes for that in work are a kneeling chair and a trackpad - mice will destroy your hands. Stay away from them kids).

6 Likes

12 Likes

I actually have more discomfort with gesture-heavy motions on a track pad, especially with moving around data and doing any visual design work.
I get more mileage out of a neutral posture mechanical keyboard.

3 Likes

My office offered a pretty similar setup, but with the devil being in the details it would have meant ceding a room in my flat to the company to put their own furniture and stuff in, and make me stay in that one room. The reason? Workplace liability laws mean if they are liable, they want control.

To the best of my knowledge, no one has taken the company up on the offer.

And all this reminds me I need to take my chair apart again, the squeak is terrible. A common fault in the Ikea desk chair, I’ve read.

6 Likes

Scroll wheels and right clicks are the real tool of satan. I could not do visual design.

Good point! I sure didn’t.

3 Likes

The only way to do visual design in my book is with a tablet and a stylus.

No, I’m not being a luddite, I mean with something like a Wacom tablet, or an Apple Pencil and a generous sized screen. That sort of stylus. I kind of am sad that Apple didn’t make something like the Surface Studio. (A great idea but I just don’t like using Microsoft. Personal taste.)

3 Likes

Mice aren’t great, but having your arm at a proper neutral 90, where none of your shoulder/upper arm muscles are engaged to move it will actually reduce loads of that RSI, it’s just actually really hard, because the rest of you is not some immutable stone sculpture.

2 Likes

I love me some Surface. Took better part of a decade’s worth of engineering notes by hand in OneNote. Still refer back to them as related problems arise.

Maintain a grudge over Apple killing the stylus format, for a few years, making it hard to find a replacement tablet for note taking. (Also, a grudge over them removing some of my admin tools when I was supporting hundreds of machines, and insisting I “Just take that to the Genius Bar, now” when the only Apple support shop was a 3rd party w/ a 3 month lead time)

Still ridiculous that they regularly redesign the keyboard, but never anything that isn’t a wrist wrecker.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.