Ohio judge: transgender teen lacks "maturity, knowledge and stability" to get a name change

Just a reminder, this is another example of institutional child abuse that has a strong correlation with a massively increased chance of suicide attempts.

Supportive environments reduce this chance to close to average.

I remember being 15 and unable to transition. I was suicidal all the time and repeatedly tried to kill myself.

21 Likes

If that’s the relevant standard, then Princess Consuela Banana Hammock and her husband Crap Bag have something to add to the conversation, too.

1 Like

Forget it Jake, it’s Chinatown^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Ohio

1 Like

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has addressed the issue of suicide in LGBT populations, and reached the same conclusions on the actual causes of suicide in the transgender community:

“Suicidal behaviors in LGBT populations appear to be related to “minority stress”, which stems from the cultural and social prejudice attached to minority sexual orientation and gender identity. This stress includes individual experiences of prejudice or discrimination, such as family rejection, harassment, bullying, violence, and victimization. Increasingly recognized as an aspect of minority stress is “institutional discrimination” resulting from laws and public policies that create inequities or omit LGBT people from benefits and protections afforded others. Individual and institutional discrimination have been found to be associated with social isolation, low self-esteem, negative sexual/gender identity, and depression, anxiety, and other mental disorders. These negative outcomes, rather than minority sexual orientation or gender identity per se, appear to be the key risk factors for LGBT suicidal ideation and behavior.”

I can’t find the most recent study on transkids and suicide/mental distress; but it showed that trans kids rates of these problems were the same as the general population when they received gender affirming care and were in supportive environments.

The judge is purposely making this kids life harder and increasing their likelihood of problems throughout the lifespan.

16 Likes

Yes, as far legal matters go, changing ones name shouldn’t require more than filling a form each time.

This is actually how it’s done in most countries. You shouldn’t have to explain your reasons to anyone.

BTW, why such an argumentative tone?

1 Like

Nonsense! It can’t rape if you’re married! /s

2 Likes

That’s right up there with “I’m not racist, but…”, “hold my beer”, and “with all due respect” for all but guaranteeing a bad outcome.

7 Likes

Was it a ridiculous name? Weird names should be valid, but maybe that made the judge think the teen was immature. Maybe Kathy would have been ok, but not Ermanvator.

even if it is ridiculous that’s no strong legal standing to deny this. People can change their name to just about anything they want.

4 Likes

Exactly. Argentina’s very, very sensible gender identity law is national, and makes changing one’s first name and sex a bureaucratic matter where you fill out the forms and get a new id with the same number but new first name/s and sex. There are also similar processes, on demand for you and required for all schools, services, miles programs, you name it, to ‘rectify’ your name and sex anywhere you request, eg your college diplomas, your previous employers, etc…
Just to make clear, you have no legal obligation to present as the gender you are requesting for your IDs at the time you make the request. I know at least one dude who went in a minidress with his two toddlers to request that they put M on his new ID and there were no hold ups. Of course, bureaucrats can be power-lusty jerks anywhere and some people find the process slower than others. But, in Argentina, the only time you would need to deal with a judge, mental health professional or similar is if you are under sixteen and your parents don’t want to let you change your legal sex.
Since there is an existing public health system, once you’ve done the ID, you have access to free surgery and hormones should you want them.

4 Likes

How they always act like the possibility of later changing your mind about transition is a big fucking thing to consider.
I’m imagining a dimension where the State would pull this crap on every woman who tried to change her last name upon marriage.
“Now ma’am; have you fully taken into account the fact that if in five, ten or twenty years you change your mind, you’re going to have to come fill out a whole form AGAIN? Call the bank’s 1-800 AGAIN?!”

7 Likes

I misread the meaning of your original comment, my apologies.

1 Like

Welcome to Ohio, where we make shit up as we feel like it.

1 Like

No problem. Cheers!

I wonder how this works on Iceland:

Well when they changed Thor to a woman she just kept the name “Thor” so I guess it wasn’t an issue.

5 Likes

Sure hope so, in general they teme to be progressive yet that name law seems a bit restrictive.

The first name stayed the same, but what about the last name? Was it still Odinson or did it change to Friggadotter? (Or Gaeadotter, or something else depending on who the mother of female Thor is in the comics, which I didn’t bother to look up.)

1 Like

I’m sure the answer to this question is ‘Yes.’ It’s just the numbers.

But does it really matter that the answer is a ‘yes’? Nope.

Jane Foster was the female Thor in Marvel’s comics before she died. Now Odinson the Unworthy is back, using a different world’s Mjolnir.

2 Likes