Ohio judge: transgender teen lacks "maturity, knowledge and stability" to get a name change

That’s a good way for one to categorize which people to avoid. See ‘Cassius Clay’ vs ‘Muhammad Ali’ debacle.

1 Like

In a small, limited defense of the judge’s choice in pronoun, at least the reason why was qualified. Fellow commenters here aren’t even respecting the correct pronoun, and most of us here are left-leaning if not outright hippie scum :rofl:

Edit- looks like bad reporting from source article is to blame. Carry on hippie scum!

Before or after their forced weapons training?

1 Like

My quick bit of research suggests that Icelandic trans people are allowed/expected to change that part of their name too. I don’t know how that works for non-binary people though.

Perhaps Asgard changed their naming system just like the other Nordic countries. The Asgardians do live for thousands of years explaining the older system, but I don’t know of any prominent Asgardian children in the comics to test this theory.

3 Likes

c. 2131.141 . The parents, guardian, or custodian, in exercising the fundamental right to care for their child, may withhold consent for gender dysphoria treatment or activities that are designed and intended to form a child’ s conceptions of sex and gender.

If a government agent or entity has knowledge that a child under its care or supervision has exhibited symptoms of gender dysphoria or otherwise demonstrates a desire to be treated in a manner opposite of the child’ s biological sex,

This looks like it will be really bad for cis people who are non-gender-conforming too (by the standards of the religious fundamentalists, reactionaries and fascists who this bill is actually for)

3 Likes

For those who were wondering why an ungendered name like Zay might be at the center of all this, I found another article that explains that her legal name is Isaiah and it had caused problems.

One searing moment snapped Jason out of his just-a-phase explanation. Zay needed to go to an urgent-care office for treatment of an ear infection. Jason filled out paperwork for his boy Isaiah, and they waited in an exam room. The doctor came in. He looked at the clipboard, at the child in a dress, at the clipboard, at the child. Perhaps the paperwork is wrong, said the doctor. Jason replied, no, Zay is just a boy who likes girl things.
[…]
Once in a while, Zay broached the idea of going by the name Amber, after one of the backyard chickens that had disappeared. Chasilee and Jason, who figured the chicken had been snatched by a hawk, always voted no. “Amber” would only remind them that the world contained predators.
RAISING ZAY: A family's journey with a transgender child

2 Likes

The family decided to do a press release because it would help bring attention to it and help garner support. It also didn’t release the name of the boy, only his parents names.

1 Like

Well they’d probably try to stop that too lol. A while ago in Ohio, you weren’t legally allowed to get divorced if it was a gay marriage. Almost like it was a punishment for being gay. “You homos asked for this, be careful what you wish for” that sort of thing.

2 Likes

Aww she died? I’ve got some catching up to do…

TL;DR: Yes.

Funny you should say that. I’ve had two name changes, unrelated to gender issues.

The first was because I had the opportunity to change my name when the man I grew up knowing as my dad finally legally adopted me. I despised my birth name, and jumped at the chance to get a new one. I was nine. You don’t let a nine-year-old pick out a name. You also don’t tell him that maybe he should keep part of his original first name as his middle name because his mom is sad he’s changing his name. Much, much later I found out my mom didn’t even like the name I had been given at birth; it was my biological dad’s name choice, and she threw him out when I was 1-ish for abusing her, and being a worthless person.

Anyhow.

The second change was because I had used a unique way of spelling the first name, and my middle name was just embarrassing whenever it became known. So I kept my first name and just adjusted the spelling, and totally changed my middle name. I was 14 then, and still probably shouldn’t have been responsible for picking my name.

I’m 50 now, and whenever I’m asked my name – usually at a restaurant or fast-food place – I will hesitate. It doesn’t feel right when I say it out loud. So I guess it’s still not the right name for “me.”

The first time? Yes. I really do wish he had sent me home to think about it some more, if only so I could have ditched the middle name I had decided on.

The second time… kind of. As much as I hated the middle name, I should have left the spelling of my new first name alone. It was interesting; somewhat unique in that I’ve never run across it in the wild. Instead I have a more conventional spelling, but people still use a single “L” most of the time, so they still get the damned thing wrong. But I was afraid of being weird/different. I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to embrace the things that made me weird and different.

When my daughter revealed to me she was a trans woman, I did everything I could to support her. Luckily she was over 18 so she just had to go through the bureaucratic hoops in place at the time to make her name change and gender flag change happen, and she didn’t run into this kind of nonsense.

So far she hasn’t indicated any unhappiness with the name she decided on.

My belief is that people in this situation – where their name identifies them as a gender they don’t identify with, rather than someone that just doesn’t like their given name – give the name they decide on far more thought than they’re given credit for.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.